Forum Discussion

richie
Community Hero
7 years ago
Solved

Assert on XML fragment within a single XML element?

Hi,

I am using SoapUI to publish a SOAP POST request to a web service and I'm trying to create an assertion on the response

I've gotten used to SoapUI now and I didn't think this would be a problem, however,  the XML response to my request includes XML for failures and successes all in one tag within a CDATA element which means I'm struggling to create an assertion on the content.

When I launch the XML option on the 'Response' for a Successful submission it appears as follows:

<Responses>
	<SyncSuccesses>
		<SyncSuccess SyncID="CV00B" DateTime="20170727080932GMT"/>
	</SyncSuccesses>

<SyncErrors>
        </SyncErrors>
</Responses>

Likewise when launch When I launch the XML option on the 'Response' for a Failed submission it appears as follows:

<Responses>
	<SyncSuccesses>
	</SyncSuccesses>

<SyncErrors>
        <SyncError SyncID="CV00C" DateTime="20170727080932GMT"/>
        </SyncErrors>
</Responses>

I need to be able to assert whether the request was a FAILURE or SUCCESSFUL - and normally because all the different elements would be on separate lines in the XML window in the 'Response' - I could do this - but because they're using a SOAP wrapper and the payload is all within one tag within a CDATA element - I don't know how to do this.

I've attached the genuine response XML so you can see what I mean about the CDATA element resulting in all the XML being contained within a single tag

Any help/guidance would be great - I've 2 days to work out how to do this, so I'd appreciate any and all comments if possible please!

Richie

• Here's a groovy script that may help. Ultimately if you need to treat the //return field as XML to parse, I usually go with a groovy script assertion.

import com.eviware.soapui.support.XmlHolder

def groovyUtils = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context );

// get the response, specifically the //RETURN element that contains DATA tags. This may need to be adjusted to fit your own project, but you want to collect the //return element

def response = context.expand( '${TESTTSTEP#Response#declare namespace NS1=\'urn:SyncServicesIntf-ISyncServices\'; //NS1:SyncResponse[1]/return[1]}' )

// remove the CDATA tags
    response = response.replaceAll( "<!\\[CDATA\\[", "" )
    response = response.replaceAll( "]]>", "" )

// Parse the response into XML
    def holder = groovyUtils.getXmlHolder( response )

log.info((holder["exists(//Responses/SyncSuccesses/SyncSuccess)"]));
    log.info(holder["count(//Responses/SyncErrors/SyncError)"]);

def successExists = (holder["exists(//Responses/SyncSuccesses/SyncSuccess)"]);

def errorCount = (holder["count(//Responses/SyncErrors/SyncError)"]).toInteger();

assert (successExists && errorCount == 0);

6 Replies

groovyguy
    Champion Level 1

Here's a groovy script that may help. Ultimately if you need to treat the //return field as XML to parse, I usually go with a groovy script assertion.

import com.eviware.soapui.support.XmlHolder

def groovyUtils = new com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils( context );

// get the response, specifically the //RETURN element that contains DATA tags. This may need to be adjusted to fit your own project, but you want to collect the //return element

def response = context.expand( '${TESTTSTEP#Response#declare namespace NS1=\'urn:SyncServicesIntf-ISyncServices\'; //NS1:SyncResponse[1]/return[1]}' )

// remove the CDATA tags
    response = response.replaceAll( "<!\\[CDATA\\[", "" )
    response = response.replaceAll( "]]>", "" )

// Parse the response into XML
    def holder = groovyUtils.getXmlHolder( response )

log.info((holder["exists(//Responses/SyncSuccesses/SyncSuccess)"]));
    log.info(holder["count(//Responses/SyncErrors/SyncError)"]);

def successExists = (holder["exists(//Responses/SyncSuccesses/SyncSuccess)"]);

def errorCount = (holder["count(//Responses/SyncErrors/SyncError)"]).toInteger();

assert (successExists && errorCount == 0);
        richie
        Community Hero

hahaha!

I thought I'd forgotten to hit 'New Message' and added my second post onto the first - so I've just created ANOTHER one!

Sorry for wasting readers time!

richie

richie
    Community Hero

I'm a idiot - I removed the post I added here cos it shoudl've gone into a separate post rather than adding it to the existing

have created a post entitled 'Grab value within XML fragment within a single XML element (CDATA element query)?'