Forum Discussion

M_McDonald
Super Contributor
15 years ago

3.0 Beta 1: Project JDBC Connection displays password in plain text.

When configuring a JDBC connection in a Project, the Database Configuration Wizard has the password field masked, but the Connection String property will show the entered password in plain text.

7 Replies

M_McDonald
    Super Contributor
    This is probably not a bug but an inconsistency. Why mask the password input field when the password will be clearly visible in the property?

My company does not allow plain text passwords to be stored, so I got around this in 2.5 with a credentials dialog that would ask for username and password and then store the values in project-level variables created via metaClass.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

this should be fixed in the beta2 release next week (and a nightly build before that..). Together with the fix and the project-encryption possibility you might even consider storing the passwords in the project file, but your solution sounds like a safer bet anyhow.

regards!

/Ole
    evware.com
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

New beta2 release is out and it deals with the problem of masking password.
    Now a new field is added, for password only, and it's value is replaced in connection
    string at the time of creating a connection.
    Please download it at http://www.soapui.org/new_and_noteworthy_3_0.html and check it out.

Regards,

/Dragica
    eviware.com
    M_McDonald
    Super Contributor
    I see that the password in the connection string is replaced by . Unfortunately the password is still stored as plain text in the project file:

password

Does the connection string support property expansion? That way I could use my method and still leverage the shared-connection feature.

Transient properties, if implemented, might be a good fit here as well.

Thanks.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

Driver and Connection String properties do support property expansion .

Regards,

/Dragica
    eviware.com