Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validation of SOAP-Encoded messages is not supported

SOLVED
pmartin73
Occasional Contributor

Validation of SOAP-Encoded messages is not supported

I'm trying to use SOAPUI to determine if the response I'm getting back from a SOAP API is consistent with its own WSDL schema. Why is SOAPUI not able to do this?

Attached are the response and the WSDL.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
richie
Community Hero

Re: Validation of SOAP-Encoded messages is not supported

Hey @pmartin73,

Ah...i understand. So the assertion is having an issue, right?
Ok. I did abit of googling. It seems this can occur if the content of the .wsdl is erroneous. I dont mean malformed or invalid, i mean erroneous relative to certain attribute values used.
There is an "encoding" attribute that if set illegally (illegally relative to the SOAP message layer protocol) then this will cause the assertion to fail with the response you are seeing.

Theres a stackoverflow link that may help -->>https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24411468/error-validation-of-soap-encoded-messages-not-supported...

Theres alao another link with a lot more low level info that could help -->> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bc19050_.htm

In summary. Theres a problem with the wsdl and until you fix the issue youll keep getting this if you try using the schema assertion or even probably any SOAP related assertion as the wsdl content breaks the SOAP rules in some way.

Hope this helps!

Ta

Rich

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
richie
Community Hero

Hey @pmartin73,

SoapUI does support what youre asking, can you clarify exactly what youre trying to do and the steps youre doing to do this please? I want to make sure i understand exactly what you need.

Ta

Rich
if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
pmartin73
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for asking, Rich! I'm trying to do what is outlined here, and receiving the error which is the subject of my original post:

Given a soap response message and a WSDL file, I just want to validate that the response message complies with the WSDL.

Zip file containing response message and WSDL attached.

richie
Community Hero

Hey @pmartin73,

Ok. So seems straightforward. How did you add in the .wsdl to soapui....did you create an empty project and add in the soap services manually or did you create the project from the .wsdl itself? If you created the project against the .wsdl itself, then this auto generates the different soap operations and even adds testcases.

When testing a soap service i always create the project from the .wsdl...it makes it a lot easier. Once that is done, create your testsuite, testcase and add the soap teststep in (which is actually a child of the relevant soap operation you select) and if you do this, it dynamically generate the payload content of the request.

When you add in the soap teststep after selecting the correct operation there should be a window/form generated for the soap test step whicj includes a checkbox entitled 'Add schema assertion (adds validatiom that response complies with schema).

Make any other alterations you require to payload content and thats it. Submit the request and the response is checked against the schema referenced or imported via the .wsdl.

Or instead of editing the settings when you create the step you can also just add in a schema compliance assertion..this will do the same.

Thats it.

Nice one

Rich
ChrisAdams
Contributor

Good clear explanation @richie .

pmartin73
Occasional Contributor

I downloaded the WSDL straight from the web service and saved it to a file. 

I then used SoapUI to call the service method and get a response back.

richie
Community Hero

Hey @pmartin73,

Just downloading the wsdl isnt gonna help. How did you create the soapui project? Did you use the wsdl?
If you follow my instructions that will work and do everything you need

Ta

Rich
pmartin73
Occasional Contributor

I generated the project + test cases from the WSDL file.

I added a Schema Compliance assertion to the test case in question, specifying the WSDL file used to create the project when prompted.

I received the error.

(see screenshot attached)

richie
Community Hero

Hey @pmartin73,

Ah...i understand. So the assertion is having an issue, right?
Ok. I did abit of googling. It seems this can occur if the content of the .wsdl is erroneous. I dont mean malformed or invalid, i mean erroneous relative to certain attribute values used.
There is an "encoding" attribute that if set illegally (illegally relative to the SOAP message layer protocol) then this will cause the assertion to fail with the response you are seeing.

Theres a stackoverflow link that may help -->>https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24411468/error-validation-of-soap-encoded-messages-not-supported...

Theres alao another link with a lot more low level info that could help -->> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bc19050_.htm

In summary. Theres a problem with the wsdl and until you fix the issue youll keep getting this if you try using the schema assertion or even probably any SOAP related assertion as the wsdl content breaks the SOAP rules in some way.

Hope this helps!

Ta

Rich

View solution in original post

pmartin73
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help.

It does appear that the response being encoded is causing the problem, and unfortunately I have no control over that.

It would be nice to be able to remove the encoding attribute from the response message and have SOAPUI validate the modified message instead of actually calling the endpoint, but I don't know of way to do that - maybe by setting up a mock response?

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Top Kudoed Authors