Forum Discussion

JanPot
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Using QC TestLab or TestPlan to call SoapUI does not write to file

I created a test plan in HP QC12.01.838, to call a SoapUI 5.2.1 TestCase, but when I run it from QC, the text files are not created... When I run the TestCase from SoapUI (Launch TestRunner) or even when I run it from the command line, those files are created... Is there something that I am missing ?

I also try by creating a QC VAPI-XP-TEST that just call a small batch file that writes in a file, and it is working, so I wonder if there is a setting that I am missing.

I based myself on the following blog, part 1, 2 and 3: http://ryanoglesby.net/2013/08/23/executing-soapui-from-quality-center-part-1/

everything seem to work well except that the result files are never written so QC cannot read them and and therefor the test are always 'failed'

Thanks

• Glad that the solution worked for you! I'm unsure about the XTools concept. I would suggest to reach HPE ALM forum for possible solutions.

Thanks,

Kondasamy

6 Replies

kondasamy
    Regular Contributor

If you see that approach clearly, you can only call SoapUI test cases only through VAPI-XP-TEST in QC through the VB script which calls the testrunner.bat. It should not be possible to call SoapUI test cases from normal test cases created in HPE ALM. 

Also, what does this sentence mean - "the text files are not created"

Thanks,

Kondasamy

JanPot
      Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough :-) But yes, the call is made through VAPI-XP-TEST, and yes it is a VB call to testrunner.bat with the propre arguments (the same ones I used when calling through a command line).

This being said, the SoapUI scripts creates text files (with results of the run). I also have a groovy scripts that writes a specific formatted text for QC to read, so it can fill in the information directly in the test lab to say if the test pass or failed, in which case it will also fill the reason of the failure.

Like I said, all these files are created when I run the SoapUI test directly, through the Launch TestRunner and also when run by command line... but none are created when I run it through VAPI-XP-TEST:

The command line is in this form:

"C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\bin\testrunner.bat" -seRxOTP -cRequestOTP -r -a -j -J -fC:\2delete\test\ -I -tC:\Users\xxxxxx\soapui-settings.xml -i G:\DA-QA\001-etest\Automation\Soap-soapui-project.xml

kondasamy
        Regular Contributor

I guess we need to ensure whether the script has run the test case; then we can move forward verifying the text file availability. Please try the below VB script in QC and run the test case,

On Error Resume Next
        TDOutput.Clear
        Dim WshShell, oExec
        Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
        Set oExec = WshShell.Exec("""C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\ReadyAPI-1.3.0\bin\testrunner.bat"" ""C:\Don't Delete\Sample Project\Google Maps REST\Google-Maps-soapui-project - REST XML.xml"" ""-sDirections API TestSuite"" ""-cSimple Tests"" 2>&1")
        Do While Not oExec.Stdout.atEndOfStream
            TDOutput.Print oExec.StdOut.ReadLine()
        Loop

Thanks,

Kondasamy

sergi_opl
    New Contributor

Hi JanPot,

There is a SoapUI plugin called Dragonfly (http://www.agiletestware.com/dragonfly) which integrates SoapUI with HP ALM

and provides functionality to run SoapUI tests from HP ALM and report results back to ALM.

Thanks,

Sergey

Dragonfly plugin developer