Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique body content when load testing with multiple threads

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Unique body content when load testing with multiple threads

Using open source SOAP UI 5.5.0 on Windows 10 Pro

I have a REST API which allows me to send a file in base64 encoded form and provide a filename.  My POST request looks similar to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <FileSendRequest>
  <FileBytes>

PE1lc3NhZ2... (BASE64 encoded string - truncated for brevity)

</FileBytes>
  <FileName>filename.xml</FileName>
</FileSendRequest>

When I run this manually it works perfectly.  In order to load test I created a test suite and added in a groovy script test step that runs before the POST request with the following:

ThreadIndex = context.ThreadIndex
RunCount = context.RunCount

FileName = "FileName_" + ThreadIndex + "_" + RunCount + ".xml"

testRunner.testCase.testSuite.project.setPropertyValue( "FileName", "${FileName}" )

And in the request changed:

<FileName>filename.xml</FileName>

To be:

<FileName>${#Project#FileName}</FileName>

When I run the load test with one thread and 100 requests it works correctly generating 100 files with filenames:

FileName_0_0.xml

FileName_0_1.xml

FileName_0_2.xml and so on...

If I increase the number of threads to 2 then I see filenames:

FileName_0_0.xml

FileName_1_0.xml

FileName_0_1.xml

FileName_1_1.xml so the filenaming appears to be working as I expected.

i.e. I want a unique filename for each instance of the running thread

However my test or the API seems to lose requests or files, once I increase the thread count in the load test to 2 or more.

With 2 threads, 200ms delay and 100 requests in total I see 1-2 files missing.  This loss increases as I increase the total number of runs or threads.

With 1000 requests I see a loss of ~9 files

I am doing a basic assertion of checking for a 200 response code and that never fails.

The issue could be my testing infrastructure or the API itself of course, but I'm not sure how to debug any further (I'm a little new to SOAP UI). Can anyone advise if my test is theoretically sound?  The API developer is saying that there is a clash of filenames but I don't understand how that could be when using the script as above.  Is there a better way to achieve the same thing?

Thanks

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Top Kudoed Authors