Forum Discussion

amitgrover8
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

SoapUI OpenSource Integration with Git

Hi,

Has anyone using Git for team testing with SoapUI.

I read somewhere Soap UI open source is good with when only one person is working on it.

I have to use Soap UI with team, we are 4 person in team who will work in a project but on different test suite or test cases. How we can use git in this scenario as Soap UI open source is creating only one project file.

8 Replies

jkrolczy
    Regular Contributor

As a new user recently to SoapUI (open source), I encountered the multiple user scenario

and who commits to Git and blocking others who could lose their changes.

I went along with 1 workspace, and each project file within is dedicated to one service approach.

I did not want my xml project file getting too large.

Within each service project file, would be the resources/methods and TestSuite with

TestCases within.  We will eventually have many project files for each services which will

lessen the conflict of who works on what.  I went with this approach for the eventual use

of TeamCity and executing a specific service file when needed to be called from a build/deploy.

I can pass in my cmd line for TestRunner for what env I want to run on and modify my Endpoint

accordingly.  This will work great for TeamCity use.

As team members, we communicate to each other on when working on a certain service

to not conflict with others. 

I know this is an old post, but I am replying for new users who may be in the same situation I was in.

JamesK

asn_007
      Contributor
      Thanks jkrolczy for keeping this thread alive even after years. Just a quick question I had, How are you able to execute these tests you have in Bamboo/Git from a build/deploy tool. In my case, I have the test data and the soapui project xml files in a repo which I have linked to a Bamboo plan. I would like to run the plan(if manualy/triggered by a build deployment) so that it connects to the repo(clones/whatever) and then executes this soapui project(along with the data) @nmrao and others for help.
        jkrolczy
        Regular Contributor

asn_007                            

From my understanding from my folks that handle TeamCity and the Build/Deploys, I have them setup me up

seperate Jobs in Team City per the project file(per service) I want to run.  Each service may have 2-3 Jobs each for a specific env I want to run against.  The cmd line being passed into TestRunner uses some project level parms for the env I want to run against.  In SoapUI, the the Projects level parms are then used by Global varaiables on the Project/Suite/Script level to read the data I have set within custom varaiables.  My scripts don't use external data files.

When I execute one of my TeamCity jobs, a build server is selected and all my SoapUI project code is Git cloned, TestRunner cmd line executed, and my scripts executed per env I have passed in to Project level.

I have some jobs set with a manual run button and some that run each day at a certain time.

It sounds like you need then part to where you are running at, to blow away your project code, reclone it from git and kick off TestRunner.

I hope I have undertsood your question and have answered it correctly.

Please reply back with any other questions.

JamesK

amitgrover8
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Rao,

This link you mentioned above is for Ready Api, I am looking for Open Source.

Thanks

Amit

yogitad
    Regular Visitor

Hi amitgrover8,

Were you able to find solution for this? I am new to SoapUI and using the open source version. Appreciate if you can point me to any resources for this.

Thanks.

Yogita

amitgrover8
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Yogita,

We faced lots of conflicts with GIT as SoapUI is creating only one XML file for one project. We ended up copying test cases to another project and merged the 2 version of project and add test cases again. If you want we can try github and find some solution by working on Sample project.

Will update this thread if I find any solution. 

Amit