Forum Discussion

ryanshoward
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Setting HTTP endpoint based on Soap Response

I am calling a soap service which returns a url in a node in the response. I want to call this url using an HTTP request.

whats the best way to set the HTTP end point to the url in the soap response?

I'm using SoapUI 5.2.0

Help would be greatly appreciated

• Hi,

Firstly I would probably use a HTTP Request TestStep to make the HTTP request based on the extracted URL. To extract and transfer the URL value to the HTTP Request TestStep, you could use a property transfer TestStep (http://www.soapui.org/functional-testing/properties/transferring-properties.html).

Another option for extracting the URL from the response and setting the HTTP Request TestStep Endpoint is to use a Groovy Test Step and do the work with Groovy, I generally prefer this option, so can supply code examples if needed. You can also make the HTTP request programatically from the Groovy TestStep if need be.

Let me know if you need more tips / help with this.

Cheers,

Rupert

nmrao
    9 years ago

Rup suggested the different possible ways to achieve this and that is the way.

This is also on similar lines, but uses script assertion for soap request step instead of an additional step as given below(this is in code form of what Rup had explained).

/** code block for script assertion step of soap request **/
    import com.eviware.soapui.support.XmlHolder def response = new XmlHolder(context.response) //replace your xpath of node def urlFromResponse = response.getNodeValue("/path/to/node") assert null != urlFromResponse, "Response contains no value" context.testCase.setPropertyValue('END_POINT_URL', urlFromResponse)

And use endpoint for HTTP request step as ${#TestCase#END_POINT_URL}

2 Replies

rupert_anderson
    Valued Contributor

Hi,

Firstly I would probably use a HTTP Request TestStep to make the HTTP request based on the extracted URL. To extract and transfer the URL value to the HTTP Request TestStep, you could use a property transfer TestStep (http://www.soapui.org/functional-testing/properties/transferring-properties.html).

Another option for extracting the URL from the response and setting the HTTP Request TestStep Endpoint is to use a Groovy Test Step and do the work with Groovy, I generally prefer this option, so can supply code examples if needed. You can also make the HTTP request programatically from the Groovy TestStep if need be.

Let me know if you need more tips / help with this.

Cheers,

Rupert

nmrao
      Champion Level 3

Rup suggested the different possible ways to achieve this and that is the way.

This is also on similar lines, but uses script assertion for soap request step instead of an additional step as given below(this is in code form of what Rup had explained).

/** code block for script assertion step of soap request **/
      import com.eviware.soapui.support.XmlHolder def response = new XmlHolder(context.response) //replace your xpath of node def urlFromResponse = response.getNodeValue("/path/to/node") assert null != urlFromResponse, "Response contains no value" context.testCase.setPropertyValue('END_POINT_URL', urlFromResponse)

And use endpoint for HTTP request step as ${#TestCase#END_POINT_URL}