Forum Discussion

merxyboy
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Parameterizing string to Payload Request (Data Driven Test)

Hi Smartbear community,

I am stumped by this fairly newbie issue I'm sure most of you will be able to solve:

Prerequisites:

- JSON payload request has an attribute reason i.e. {"reason": "<reasonValue>"} as a String datatype

- Reason has been added as a parameter on a Properties step inside a test case as ${#TestCase#reason} > this will be one of the parameters for input on the CSV data.

- CSV data has been updated with the <reasonValue> for the above property.

- Finally payload has been updated by {"reason": ${Properties#reason}} which references from the Properties step.

Issue:

- When I put   Because   on the CSV data source, it becomes {"reason": Because} on the sent payload request where it's not a string which causes json error

- When I put   "Because"   on the CSV data source, it becomes {"reason": """Because"""} on the sent payload request  where it's not a string as well causing another json error.

Goal:

- Make reason parameterized to check if it has the right data type and if it is mandatory.

Kindly advise.

• Hi Rao,

I'm using SoapUI Free edition and I figured out what's wrong. Turns out I'm using excel as an editor for CSV file which should never be done.

Editing the parameters on text editor such as notepad++ can solve the problem.

Again, thanks for the reply Rao.

2 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Are you using open source edition or Pro edition?
      merxyboy
      New Contributor

Hi Rao,

I'm using SoapUI Free edition and I figured out what's wrong. Turns out I'm using excel as an editor for CSV file which should never be done.

Editing the parameters on text editor such as notepad++ can solve the problem.

Again, thanks for the reply Rao.