Forum Discussion

EichmannCharity
Occasional Visitor
4 years ago

Migration from SOAPUI Pro(ReadyAPI) to SOAPUI free tool is not working

We had used ReadyAPI to automate our SOAP / REST API Tests for few years. The tool has been installed in a build machine say Machine A. Now we have decided not to renew the license of the tool and we have exported the project (xml). The same was imported in freshly installed SOAPUI 5.5.0 free tool in Machine B and it is working fine. But when I removed the ReadyAPI in the Machine A and installed SOAPUI free tool, I'm not able to import my project. Importing project in workspace is grayed out and when right-clicking It is showing only reload and Remove option. Reloading is not helping too. Refer the attached screenshot.

Please suggest workaround to make soapui free tool import my existing project in the same machine where ReadyAPI was installed earlier.

P.S I have done a clean uninstall by the steps given by Smartbear (deleted default-soapui-workspace.xml, soapui-settings.xml and .soapui folder)

5 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey EichmannCharity,

Ive had to do the same thing about a year ago but i didnt have any problems....i just had to make sure the projects didnt use any pro functionality.

Have you run out of readyapi! License yet? Im curious cos i installed soapui first, made sure the projects could be imported fine before i removed readyapi! from the machine.

Can you create projects on machine A?
    Can you import other readyapi! created projects in machine As soapui or is it just a particular project?
    Normally if a project.xml file wont load its due to malformed or even invalid corruption but that doesnt make sense here for this cos your project works fine on machine B.

Have you compared the system settings of machine A and machine B, just in case you can see a difference that would cause a clash?

Didnt oracle java get replaced in readyapi recently so its now openjdk? Could this be causing a problem? Are there any readapi directories still left over on your machine A?

Ta

Rich
      Pagac
      Occasional Visitor

We had used ReadyAPI to automate our SOAP/REST API Tests for few years. The tool has been installed in a build machine say Machine A. Now we have decided not to renew the license of the tool and we have exported the project(xml). The same was imported in freshly installed SOAPUI 5.5.0 free tool in Machine B and it is working fine. But when I removed the ReadyAPI in the Machine A and installed SOAPUI free tool, I'm not able to import my project. Importing project in workspace is grayed out and when right-clicking It is showing only reload and Remove option. Reloading is not helping too. Refer the attached screenshot.

MyBPCreditcard

rekvincalom

In order to move a project from SoapUI to ReadyAPI you do not have to export, change, package or otherwise modify your project files in any way.

SoapUI projects should work in ReadyAPI without modification.

Important: After you convert your project to the ReadyAPI format, there will be no guarantee that it can be opened in SoapUI. Also, there is no way to move ReadyAPI’s features back to SoapUI. For instance, all Pro features or performance tests are not backwards-compatible.

AESstudentloan

richie
        Community Hero
        Hey rekvincalom,

Just one more point about migrating from readyapi! to soapui.

Its true that all the pro/licensed functionality will be disabled or not available (like the datadriven test steps and the events handling), when you migrate from readyapi to soapui, however thats not the only consideration.

There are 2 project file formats in readyapi!

1. A single flat .xml file
        2. Unflattened "composite" file (which comprises multiple folders and files that represent the single flattened .xml file)

The "composite" format is smartbears approach to enable multiple user simultaneous updates.

Soapui does NOT support the "composite" file format option. So if you have a readyapi file that is in composite format and you want to migrate to soapui, youd need to revert the "composite" project back into the flat single .xml project file.

Ta

Rich
    ZDGN
    Contributor

Hi EichmannCharity,

You should have a look at the "SoapUI log" tab ðŸ˜‰.
    There should be a message explaining why the projet is not loaded.
    When you try to reload the project the message should appear again.

Please tell us what the log indicates.

David.