Forum Discussion

A_Irwin
New Contributor
16 years ago

Load Testing and Threads

Hello,

I have a simple question that I couldn't find an answer in the forums anywhere and it never seems to state it in the documentation.

I am running a Load Test with a Thread count of 20 and a Strategy of Simple (no delay).  I've assumed up to this point that by setting 20 Threads I am asking the Load Test to simulate 20 clients and never any more or less.  Is this true?

I'm also assuming that each Thread/Client will wait for a response before sending another request.  Is that true? 

I just assumed all the above was true, but my server is acting like it's being contacted by more than 20 clients.  I just wanted to verify my assumptions before looking into possible server issues.

thanks!

2 Replies

• My experience has been (with 2.5.1) that 20 threads, soapUI creates 20 virtual users.

Assuming HTTP/1.1 (check in global settings) and "Close Connections" option in the load test is false, that'll be 20 concurrent HTTP connections for the duration of the test.

Each virtual user uses its connection synchronously, waiting for the reply before sending another request.

Are you using HTTP/0.9 or 1.0 or Close Connections == true? That might give you a large "connections" count on the server?
    A_Irwin
    New Contributor
    thank you for the reply!

I'm using closed connection=true as it says to use that to simulate a web service client.