Forum Discussion

schus01
8 years ago

Getting Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError for every web service call

Got a new laptop.  Downloaded open source version and imported projects from old laptop.  Have 3 different endpoints and all get the same error when trying to call.

3 Replies

• As this is a year and a halfish ago I assume you've already solved the issue. I just want to post this for anyone that comes across this issue in the future.

I also came across this issue and none of the other solutions I found like this one helped me.

My errorlog was filled with: 

java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at jdk.nashorn.internal.codegen.LocalVariableTypesCalculator.visitExpression(LocalVariableTypesCalculator.java:597)
    at jdk.nashorn.internal.codegen.LocalVariableTypesCalculator.enterCallNode(LocalVariableTypesCalculator.java:502)

Basically my Soapui crashed and then every request once I reopened it failed and resulted in a java.lang.StackOverflowError for every web service call. Even the SoapUI starter page did not load for me. After a few hours of messing around I came up with a fix/workaround that works for me. 

Go to your SoapUI-version/bin folder and edit the soapui.bat

At the top change 

if exist "%SOAPUI_HOME%..\jre\bin" goto SET_BUNDLED_JAVA

if exist "%JAVA_HOME%" goto SET_SYSTEM_JAVA

to 

rem if exist "%SOAPUI_HOME%..\jre\bin" goto SET_BUNDLED_JAVA

if exist "%JAVA_HOME%" goto SET_SYSTEM_JAVA

This forces SoapUI to use JAVA_HOME. As a note, you may need to edit the file as an administrator.

The downside to this solution is that now I have to start SoapUI through running soapui.bat everytime now. But hey it works :)

I'm sure there's a way around this to but after hours of reinstalling, delete registry keys and trying to find another solution I'm not going to waste more time trying to figure it out.

• I had a similar problem with the overflow error, but this was due to the following setting:

File > Preferences > Proxy Settings > Proxy Setting: "None".

If it is on 'Automatic' it can sometimes cause StackOverFlowError. My error was the following:

Fri May 24 09:52:24 CEST 2019:ERROR:Exception in request: java.lang.Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError
    Fri May 24 09:52:24 CEST 2019:ERROR:An error occurred [java.lang.StackOverflowError], see error log for details