Forum Discussion

rpetrick
New Contributor
3 years ago

Errors while saving project files

Unable to reliably save changes on soapui project files, my current issue is with changes at the level of assertions. I can view previous versions of the file that track my history of saved changes at higher levels of the project (names of test cases, names and positions of test steps, etc.) but the assertions inside these test steps do not record the changes that were made alongside those higher level changes. In this instance alone I have lost work done on these scripted assertions amounting to four hours. I would appreciate any advice on how to retrieve these lost changes, or how I can avoid this problem in the future.

Thank you for your support,

rpetrick

4 Replies

richie
    Community Hero

Hey rpetrick 

I can't help retrieving the changes  - unless you have a backup saved....but you could change the 'Autosave interval' option within the UI Settings within the Preferences to something <>0 - then your changes will get saved - although the autosave occurring might hinder your work slightly.

I did notice a while back that my changes weren't being saved in certain circumstances. 

I'd edit a field, click Save, tab out/move the mouse to another screen object and carry on working.  When I came back sometime later, I'd notice the change I thought I'd saved hadn't saved after all.

I noticed that if I edited a field, clicked out of the field so my mouse focus moved elsewhere -and THEN saved - the change was saved successfully.  If I edited a field and clicked save whilst my mouse focus was still on the original object - the save wouldn't happen.

to get around the above, I updated my autosave interval and started moving my mouse focus into another field (after making a change in the original field) and then hitting save (when I wanted to manually save a change).

lw

It's not perfect - but that's what I did and still do and I haven't lost work since.

Oh - 1 more thing - I'm currently working with SoapUI in a Unix VM and the available RAM just leaks over time (standard UNIX) until I run out of resource.  I've noticed that when the RAM usage is close to maxed out (maybe 1.5Gigs remaining) SoapUI's save doesn't always work.  I suppose you can minimise this with less projects in your workspace and smaller projects - I'm guessing the whole .xml project file has to be parsed each time the save is selected - so - just a warning about keep an eye on your available resourcing - cos that keeps catching me out at the moment!

ta

rich

rpetrick
      New Contributor

Hey richie thanks for your reply,

I've noticed the issues you've mentioned as well, and unfortunately I am already practicing the solutions you suggest. I can search through previous versions of my file and view that changes to the names and structures of test cases and test steps were being tracked, while changes that were made alongside them to the scripted assertions inside my REST calls were not. 

• rpetrick wrote:

Unable to reliably save changes on soapui project files, my current issue is with changes at the level of assertions. I can view previous versions of the file that track my history of saved changes at higher levels of the project (names of test cases, names and positions of test steps, etc.) but the assertions inside these test steps do not record the changes that were made alongside those higher level changes. In this instance alone I have lost work done on these scripted assertions amounting to four hours. I would appreciate any advice on how to retrieve these lost changes, or how I can avoid this problem in the future.

Thank you for your support,

rpetrick

Since it's usually just one project that's having the problem, I just tried unloading that project and reloading it, and this worked. My sample size is only 1 but it's much faster than the other two options so perhaps worth the attempt. I suspect this works because it writes to the .suo file, and perhaps fixes the corrupted part of it that was causing the issue to begin with.

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Are you b using ReadyAPI? Because it is mentioned versioning.