Forum Discussion

Mariwan
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Automation Test Cases by SoapUI

hello all,

i hope you will be fine,

am trying to make automation test cases by SoapUI 5.3.0 version currently am using xml codes, note that test cases about 650 test cases i don't know if SoapUI can handle such amount of tests.

Thanks,

Mariwan

• It depends what you need to automate.

If you need to automate:

• creation of tests, e.g. generate the tests from WSDLs (or WADLs), you need Groovy (Java) skills
    • execution of tests: you don't need Groovy skills. 
    • custom processing of test results: you need Groovy skills.

In SoapUI you can automate almost anything, as it provides full Java API and allows to use Groovy code inside the tests. It's up to you what to handle manually and what you need to automate.

If your test cases are suitable for automation, i.e. if they share a common pattern, then I would automate as much as possible. Automation reduces your effort during test creation, and even more during repeated executions and following test maintenance.

Karel

3 Replies

KarelHusa
    Champion Level 3

Mariwan, it depends on complexity of your tests and the size of the exchanged messages.

I have used SoapUI projects with hundreds of test cases, the project size tens of MBs and it works. With 5.2.1 I had stability issues, however 5.3.0 seems to be more stable.

You may need to increase your JVM memory parameters for SoapUI.

If it make sense, I recommend to split the SoapUI project to smaller pieces, e.g. by hundreds of test cases. However, even 650 cases are in my opinion achievable.

Karel

Mariwan
      Occasional Contributor

KarelHusa
        Champion Level 3

It depends what you need to automate.

If you need to automate:

• creation of tests, e.g. generate the tests from WSDLs (or WADLs), you need Groovy (Java) skills
        • execution of tests: you don't need Groovy skills. 
        • custom processing of test results: you need Groovy skills.

In SoapUI you can automate almost anything, as it provides full Java API and allows to use Groovy code inside the tests. It's up to you what to handle manually and what you need to automate.

If your test cases are suitable for automation, i.e. if they share a common pattern, then I would automate as much as possible. Automation reduces your effort during test creation, and even more during repeated executions and following test maintenance.

Karel