Forum Discussion

omatzura
Super Contributor
18 years ago

question about soapui pro

Hello,

If I develop a script/project in soapui pro, would this script work on the free version of the soapUI. Reason I am asking this is because, I will be buying 10+ support licenses so that the developer/QA can write their scripts. But for Load Testing we will be using seperate high end load generation servers. I don't see a reason why I would need a seperate license for these servers. Would be possible/legal for me to develop scripts on my laptop using the support license and then run them from the Load Gen servers which have the free version.

Thanks

Ali

3 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Ali,

thanks for asking;

- If your testcases don't use any of the soapUI Pro TestSteps (datasource and mockresponse), you can run them with the standard soapUI version.
    - If your testcases do use them you can still run the command-line runners on other machines, they don't require an installed license. To run the tests from soapUI you will currently need a license as well.

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • As a matter of fact.

You can from an unlicensed version (which actually is called Courtesy License) run any test created in soapUI Pro, and I don't see anything illegal wiht it either.

The features are about productivity anyway so from a running perspective it's not that important.
    You still can not edit or add test steps.

/niclas
    eviware.com
  • Hmm,

I wrote the last post in an awful hurry and subsequently the readability was just as awful. To sum my post above and Oles post:

• One option is running the test in a testrunner. This is legal and might be preferable on a server, it’s actually pretty much why we built the functionality.

• Another option is running it inside soapUI Pro without a Pro License key. This is tried, works just fine, and is legal.

/niclas
    eviware.com