Forum Discussion

hbjastad
Contributor
8 years ago

Will there be another release of SoapUI open source?

I am trying to understand SmartBear's strategy with SoapUI (and the new Ready!API platform)... Previously, it was quite simple - there was a free, open source version of SoapUI and then there was a paid version (SoapUI Pro) with some additional features.

When I look at the landscape now, I see

* The open source version of SoapUI has not been updated for almost a year - https://github.com/SmartBear/soapui - with the latest release version being 5.2.1. Are there any plans to maintain this? Will there be any new releases, particularly for the new 6.0.0 file format that is being used by Ready!API?

* Ready!API/SoapUI NG Pro moves forward with frequent releases. Ready!API can not be started without a license, so I assume this is only intended to be a paid version.

If I try to create a project using Ready!API and then run the tests using the open source version of SoapUI, there is a warning about the new file format 6.0.0 being newer than the SoapUI version

WARN  [WsdlProject] Project 'Simulator UDI' is from a newer version (6.0.0) of SoapUI than this (5.2.1) and parts of it may be incompatible or incorrect. Saving this project with this version of SoapUI may cause it to function differently.

When choosing which product to use, it would be good to hear from SmartBear what the strategy is...

Will there be updates to SoapUI open source? Or is Ready!API the only way forward?

3 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Just wanted to clarify below point of yours:

"If I try to create a project using Ready!API and then run the tests using the open source version of SoapUI"

Not sure the reason why do so?

Project created using ReadyAPI is not expected to run from SoapUI.
      hbjastad
      Contributor

Hi Rao, there might not be any reason for doing it this way - it was just an observation.

But the question about the future of the open source version of SoapUI is key: When deciding on a test strategy for a large number of users, it's imperative to know if the product has a future or if it's already a dead end. In other words - should SoapUI open source be evaluated as a solution alternative, or is Ready!API the only offering SmartBear will provide?

nmrao
        Champion Level 3
        Hope this thread is being watched by SmartBear product owner.

I was thinking when would it be required to go for a new release?
        - is there any feature or any issue that are addressed ?
        - any outstanding requests (on demand by forum users) made below is being addressed?
        https://community.smartbear.com/t5/SoapUI-Feature-Requests/idb-p/SoapUIFeatureRequests

By the way, community members use the above link and vote them to get addressed by SmartBear to make a feature / enhancement into SoapUI OS edition.