Forum Discussion

Mis3
Frequent Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Substring not working

I am trying to output the first X characters of a XML response and getting error.

Line in the code below, MESSAGE2 can be very long and I like to output only the first 40 characters.

Please help.

def xmlResponse = tStep.getPropertyValue("Response")
def holder = groovyUtils.getXmlHolder(xmlResponse)
def MESSAGE1 = holder.getNodeValue("/S:Envelope/S:Body/ns2:changeMsisdnResponse/resultData/errorCode")
def MESSAGE2 = holder.getNodeValue("/S:Envelope/S:Body/ns2:changeMsisdnResponse/resultData/message")

MESSAGE3 = substring( MESSAGE2, 0, 39)

log.info MESSAGE1 + " " + MESSAGE3

• Hi,

I honestly cannot think of a way to use an 'if' against string length decision without calculating the length.

Your approach looks good, but if its making it more concise that you're after, then try...

if ( MESSAGE2.length() > 92 ) { MESSAGE2 = MESSAGE2.substring(0,91) }

You might want to have a read about Ternary operators (https://groovy-programming.com/post/175536037619) which are very concise conditionals, but you'll still need to work out the length.

4 Replies

Mis3
      Frequent Contributor

I tried this and it is working:

int str_len = MESSAGE2.length()
      if (str_len>92) { MESSAGE2 = MESSAGE2.substring(0,91) }

In this method, I have to determine the length of the string first.

Is there a way I can yield the same result without knowing the length first? 

In other words, I like to output the first 92 characters of MESSAGE2.  If  MESSAGE2 has less characters, output the whole string.

ChrisAdams
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

I honestly cannot think of a way to use an 'if' against string length decision without calculating the length.

Your approach looks good, but if its making it more concise that you're after, then try...

if ( MESSAGE2.length() > 92 ) { MESSAGE2 = MESSAGE2.substring(0,91) }

You might want to have a read about Ternary operators (https://groovy-programming.com/post/175536037619) which are very concise conditionals, but you'll still need to work out the length.