Forum Discussion

pvaterl
Regular Visitor
7 years ago

SSLHandshakeException when defining keyStore in JVM options

I have to call a web-service that uses client authentication.

I have one version that works, an one version that does not work (throws a SSLHandshakeException). I am very interested in the differences that SoapUI does, because I have similar problems at my glassfish java implementation.

I have imported the client certificate to C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\jre\lib\security\clientkeystore.

The version that does NOT work:

• I have added this keystore to C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\bin\SoapUI-5.3.0.vmoptions (set the JVM options javax.net.ssl.keyStore and javax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword) --> see attachment
  • I have restarted SoapUI and checked menu 'Help'-->'System Properties'. My added lines are in there --> see attachment
  • When I call the web-service, I get the exception: "javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure"

The version that works:

• Open SoapUI Preferences --> SSL Settings. Select the keystore mentioned above and same as set as JVM option and enter also same password there.
  • When I call the web-service, it works fine and gives me a result

So what is the difference?

What other things is SoapUI doing than setting the system properties javax.net.ssl.keyStore and javax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword when I add the keystore information at runtime to the SoapUI SSL settings?

I have written a java client using the same java and keystore (and also only setting javax.net.ssl.keyStore and javax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword) that works fine and returns a correct result.

When I do the same thing with glassfish I get a 'SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: unknown_ca' exception.

Anybody an idea?

Thanks for help.

No RepliesBe the first to reply