Forum Discussion

chaosmuse
New Contributor
9 years ago

Running Tests from External Projects

This is probably a case of diving into the deep end of the pool without knowing enough, but I'm in need of a more modular solution, so I'm hoping someone can help steer me in the right direction.

My team consists of 20+ people and we're trying to version control the SoapUI projects, but I've found that in a lot of cases, we're hitting hard-to-resolve conflicts and occasionally overwriting each other's work. Short story - it's unmaintainable in its current state.

What I'd like to do is get a single "master" project that can run tests from several other projects, that way we can spread out the tests across several files and have more modular sections. I'm assuming that I'll need to use Groovy for this, but I haven't found a way to access anything beyond the same-project scope to try to pull in SoapUI test cases or suites. 

Is it possible to load a test case or test suite from another project file and run it? If possible, snippets or references to examples would be a ton of help.

Thanks!

Jen

1 Reply

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Jen,
    Correct if the understanding wrong.
    Already the project(s) under version control, and facing conflicts while committing as multiple want their changes to check in is that all the problem or running the projects?

If you wanted to solve the first problem, then you may probably want to look at the Export functionality available on right click of Test Case, TestSuite etc. I understand that each of the resouce may atleast work on different test case so, it would be easy to export the cases or suites from a project and import into the other project so the conflicts can be easily be resolved. This way, you may maintain the master project as you wanted to by doing - take a checkout of the master project by each resource, add their cases, or suites, export them. And end of the day, merge / import all those cases / suites into master project and checkin. So this merging can be automatic by writing some program. In case, if you want to use master project, starting point would be just importing all the service wsdls so that it would be easy for all of the resouces, each of them do not have to import the wsdl again.

Coming to other problem, running the tests - since you already have the master project at this time, you may run it easily as single project is available. Do not have to look for / make more complicated.

Hope this helps.