Forum Discussion

JackMcC10
New Contributor
8 years ago

How to dynamically change JSON elements within Groovy Script

I want to change two JSON elements each time I send a request within SoapUI.

I have my request setup within test properties and each time the test case is ran a new email address and postal address should be created in order to create unique users. My code is as follows:

import groovy.json.JsonSlurper
import groovy.json.JsonOutput
import groovy.json.JsonBuilder

def props = new java.util.Properties();
props = testRunner.testCase.testSuite.project.testSuites["Avios"].testCases["SuccessJoin"].testSteps["Properties"];

def username = System.currentTimeMillis()
def email = username + "@aerlingus.com"

def random = Math.abs(new Random().nextInt() % 600) + 1
def address = random + " Swords manor"

def jsonSlurper = new JsonSlurper()
def object = jsonSlurper.parseText'''{

"member":{
"person":{
"name":{
"title":"Mr",
"firstName":"Jack",
"middleInitial":[
"L"
],
"familyName":"SMITH",
"type":"MARRIED_NAME"
},
"dateOfBirth":"1990-12-15",
"gender":"MALE",
"countryOfResidence":"US",
"locale":{
"languageCode":"en"
},
"postalAddresses":{
"preferredPostalAddress":{
"type":"PERSONAL",
"placeType":"NOT_KNOWN",
"addressLine":[
"13120 River valley drive",
"Swords"
],
"country":"US"
}
},
"emailAddresses":{
"preferredEmailAddress":{
"email":"jack176405238@aol.com",
"type":"BUSINESS",
"mailboxType":"INDIVIDUAL"
}
},
"telecomAddresses":{
"preferredTelecomAddress":{
"areaCode":"087",
"number":"1234560",
"type":"PERSONAL",
"deviceType":"MOBILE"
}
}
}
}
}'''

object.member.person.emailAddresses.preferredEmailAddress.email = email
object.member.person.postalAddresses.preferredPostalAddress.addressLine = address

def jsonReqAsString = JsonOutput.toJson(object)

props.setPropertyValue('NextRequestJson',jsonReqAsString);

log.info(jsonReqAsString)

I get an error when I run this saying:

org.springframework.http.converter.HttpMessageNotReadableException: Could not read JSON: Can not deserialize instance of java.util.ArrayList out of VALUE_STRING token\n

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies

01streams
    New Contributor

I don't see any problem with your JSON parse/update script as such. When I commented the lines where you are "trying to read" the properties and the lines where you are setting the JSON into the test step property, I get the below expected JSON printed in the log.

Also something that I noticed from the commented lines - you are overwriting the "props" variable  that was initially defined as a Java property with a reference of the 'Properties' test step, not sure if that was intentional.

{"member":{"person":{"dateOfBirth":"1990-12-15","locale":{"languageCode":"en"},"countryOfResidence":"US","name":{"title":"Mr","familyName":"SMITH","middleInitial":["L"],"type":"MARRIED_NAME","firstName":"Jack"},"gender":"MALE","postalAddresses":{"preferredPostalAddress":{"addressLine":"339 Swords manor","type":"PERSONAL","placeType":"NOT_KNOWN","country":"US"}},"telecomAddresses":{"preferredTelecomAddress":{"areaCode":"087","deviceType":"MOBILE","number":"1234560","type":"PERSONAL"}},"emailAddresses":{"preferredEmailAddress":{"email":"1468941739735@aerlingus.com","mailboxType":"INDIVIDUAL","type":"BUSINESS"}}}}}

JackMcC10
      New Contributor

If I was just sending the request there would be no issue, I am making reference to two specific elements in the request which need changed which is where the issue arises. I am setting a property within the test case called NextRequestJson which does not like when I change these elements.

My question is how to change these elements- postal address and email address- and not get a bad request exception.

01streams
        New Contributor

Instead of setting the new JSON into a request property and reading from it, you could try setting the JSON directly as the request to the next test step as in the snippet below -

def nextTestStep = testRunner.testCase.testSuite.project.testSuites["Avios"].testCases["SuccessJoin"].testSteps["Properties"]

// def object = (build the new JSON with the updated email and postal address)

def jsonReqAsString = JsonOutput.toJson(object)

log.info(jsonReqAsString)

nextTestStep .setPropertyValue('Request', jsonReqAsString);

HTH!