Forum Discussion

frege
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Getting full wsdl from a SoapUI project

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if this is a total noob question, but I need to answer this before asking to my bosses.

The thing is, I'm developing a spring boot project which also access some web services using SOAP. Instead of giving me a .wsdl to develop this, they have given me a SoapUI project. When I export the .wsdl from the project, I think that some things are missing in this: when I import this wsdl in some java project, there are operations that are not registered.

Also, SoapUI will ask me for two certificates and I see no reference to this when I import the generated wsdl in the java project.

I don't want to sound fully stupid to them, so my questions are:

路 Can you extract a full wsdl from a SoapUI project without having the initial wsdl?

路 Is this a common thing to do in projects? That is, giving a SoapUI project instead of an wsdl.

路 Should I ask them for the full wsdl or should I try some things first? (I tried some, actually)

Thanks in advance,

Frege.

frege
    5 years ago

A week ago I got the wsdls so I thought I should update for at least give you a laugh.

I asked for them and after a few days they (reluctantly) give them access to them. They are behind another url and also, they forgot to create some credentials for me. After another day, I got to access those urls and download both wsdl.

Thanks anyway for your help!

4 Replies

• Check the WSDL itself - it should show you the WSDL URL.  Usually the Endpoint is the WSDL... it's not simply just a file, but more of a URL.  Usually around line 2 or 3 in the wsdl.

<xsd:schema targetNamespace="https://graphical.weather.gov/xml/DWMLgen/wsdl/ndfdXML.wsdl">

IF it doesn't have .wsdl just add it and put it in Chrome (as long as you're on your work network/VPN).

Scondly - I find is very rude or bad practice that "Whomever" gave the project to you doesn't show you where or how to get the WSDL.  Plus it's better to have the WSDL URL so you can update definitions and/or refactor.

So - You can do yourself a favor and play the "good charm" and simply ask "I'm looking for the WSDL URL so that I can update the definitions as development continues.  Stick to that.  Because if you start testing form an old testStep.

I wouldn't get into using wsdl as a file - it's just not the best way to go about it - UNLESS you have to for some odd reason.  So if it is in Git/SVN and they update them there - then you need that.

Now as for Exporting - where you copying/pasting the WSDL Content from the Tab?  OR you sing the actual Export feature?

That's the only way I know it would be slightly different - namely only the first line something like 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Depending on the where the source code is - Maybe GitHub or SVN - you should have access to that.  Plus for a Good QA Role - should have a Repository as well to store the project, so others can use it.

frege
      New Contributor

rlong98 wrote:

Check the WSDL itself - it should show you the WSDL URL.  Usually the Endpoint is the WSDL... it's not simply just a file, but more of a URL.  Usually around line 2 or 3 in the wsdl.

<xsd:schema targetNamespace="https://graphical.weather.gov/xml/DWMLgen/wsdl/ndfdXML.wsdl">

IF it doesn't have .wsdl just add it and put it in Chrome (as long as you're on your work network/VPN).

Scondly - I find is very rude or bad practice that "Whomever" gave the project to you doesn't show you where or how to get the WSDL.  Plus it's better to have the WSDL URL so you can update definitions and/or refactor.

So - You can do yourself a favor and play the "good charm" and simply ask "I'm looking for the WSDL URL so that I can update the definitions as development continues.  Stick to that.  Because if you start testing form an old testStep.

I wouldn't get into using wsdl as a file - it's just not the best way to go about it - UNLESS you have to for some odd reason.  So if it is in Git/SVN and they update them there - then you need that.

Now as for Exporting - where you copying/pasting the WSDL Content from the Tab?  OR you sing the actual Export feature?

That's the only way I know it would be slightly different - namely only the first line something like 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Depending on the where the source code is - Maybe GitHub or SVN - you should have access to that.  Plus for a Good QA Role - should have a Repository as well to store the project, so others can use it.

I tried checking the urls in targetNamespace (there are nine of them) and none takes me to wsdl (it's not my work network).

The webservices are offered by another company and I have to use them. They only gave me said soapUI project and I cannot modify them in any way nor access anything. I can only send requests and receive responses.

I exported it using the actual feature, and then added it to a new java project following instructions from a tutorial.

EDIT: It's a long xml, 666 lines, if you recommend another way to go, I would be grateful.

frege
      New Contributor

A week ago I got the wsdls so I thought I should update for at least give you a laugh.

I asked for them and after a few days they (reluctantly) give them access to them. They are behind another url and also, they forgot to create some credentials for me. After another day, I got to access those urls and download both wsdl.

Thanks anyway for your help!

rlong98
        Contributor
        馃ぃ馃槀
        They somehow think it's job security lol
        Now make sure you have access to the database. When you have that it makes a Master test suite. Use the jdbc testStep.

Depending on what type of DB they use, you might need other jar files Soap UI to work