Forum Discussion

ssadullaev
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

Can I use SoapUI opensource to store many requests for many endpoints and to run those requests?

Can I use SoapUI opensource to store many requests for many endpoints and to run those requests and see the results? 

8 Replies

KarelHusa
    Champion Level 3

Yes, you can do this. You can extend SoapUI functionality with Groovy scripting.

1. Using many requests: you can store requests as files in a directory or in a database. Then you can read them by a groovy script and use them as requests to the target service.

2. Storing the results: you can store the results to the filesystem (or into database), see this post

3. Using many endpoints: here you need to be more specific what you mean, whether consuming multiple services or the same interface with different endpoints. Both is possible with SoapUI opensource.

ssadullaev
      Occasional Contributor

KarelHusa Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually I meant to say if I can store many requests and press a button to run all those requests for many endpoints and store their expected results.

Also what's the difference between opensource and ng pro versions of SoapUI? And I am wondering if I can do all these things with Postman. What are the benefits or advantages of using SoapUI opensource against Postman. And if SoapUI is also good for non-programmers, and good for systematic load and performance testing as well.        

KarelHusa
        Champion Level 3

SoapUI opensource

With opensource SoapUI you can create a testing project utilizing Groovy scripting to load the requests, expected responses, compare them with actual responses, store the responses and much more you need to achieve. This is very efficient for complex testing requirements. With SoapUI opensource you need to write some code to design a complex testing project, however then you can launch the tests without programming skills. 

If you are happy with making the entire test project manually (adding interfaces, messages, assertions etc.) you don't need programming at all. With this approach you can also have many interfaces and many test cases for each of them.

SoapUI NG Pro

SoapUI NG Pro offers a data driven testing functonality, which can be used to loop over sets of data objects. You do not need scripting in this case. So, with the PRO version you can design and launch bulk tests without programming.

In addition you can combine this function with Groovy scripting.

To see other differences between open source and commercial version, I recommend visiting this comparisson chart.

I cannot compare to Postman as I do not use Postman.