Forum Discussion

emmanuelflores
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Loading or referencing environment properties

Hello, I'm new to Ready API and SOAPUI NG in general. We're still trying to figure out best practices for various thing, in particular VCS. Our tests require a username password, however, we don't want to check in those values into our repository. One possible solution we were thinking about is having a properties file that never gets checked in, but lives in a directory SOAPUI can reference and load on application start up. Is this something SOAPUI can do?

If not what are the other alternatives? What are some of the best practices on handling credentials, e.g., username, password, keys, in test cases and repository? 

Appreciate any help thrown my way. 

gilugopi
    8 years ago

Actually Global Properties work well with environments

And Environment settings are not under settings.xml, its under each projects xml file

Lets say you create two different global properties

envAPassword :  envAPasswordValue

envBPassword :  envBPasswordValue

Now you need a password property at the project level to show up in environments, let's call it projectPassword

You need to environment settings

1. select envA and need to specify projectPassword value as ${envAPassword}

2. select envB and need to specify projectPassword value as ${envBPassword}

Thus global properties flows seamlessly into your environment.

4 Replies

• Best thing I could think of is very similar to what you already described.

1. List out these user ids and passwords as Global Properties. Since global properties reside in your soapui-settings.xml and specific to each user. Normally settings.xml remain outside your source code management tool.

Since it's global, it can be accessed at a project level, test suite level, test step level

2. Now global properties can be stored in a properties file and can be loaded using GUI or as command line argument to testrunner.sh or testrunner.bat.

Regards,

Gilu Gopi

emmanuelflores
      Occasional Contributor

I didn't realize there were global properties as well, however I'm not sure it'll work out for Environments settings. If we want to switch from envA to envB, we need to reference the credentials for envB. 

This does lead me to wonder if not checking in the settings.xml file for a Project would have the same impact. It seems like that's where the environment settings are saved.

gilugopi
        Contributor

Actually Global Properties work well with environments

And Environment settings are not under settings.xml, its under each projects xml file

Lets say you create two different global properties

envAPassword :  envAPasswordValue

envBPassword :  envBPasswordValue

Now you need a password property at the project level to show up in environments, let's call it projectPassword

You need to environment settings

1. select envA and need to specify projectPassword value as ${envAPassword}

2. select envB and need to specify projectPassword value as ${envBPassword}

Thus global properties flows seamlessly into your environment.