Forum Discussion

wjblazek
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

What is the difference between running SoapUI NG Pro headless vs TestServer?

We use SoapUI opensource now for our API testing, both the UI to develop tests and 

headless from the command line to run those tests at deploy time.

I see the additional features of SoapUI NG Pro and it can also be run headless the same way as the OS version.

Both SoapUI OS and SoapUI NG Pro are stored as cryptic, very hard to read, XML files.

Ready! API TestServer is developed and stored as json and apparently only run tests headless.  These json files are probably easier to read directly than the SoapUI xml files.

- What is/are the advantage(s) of one over the other?  Why would one want to use Ready! API TestServer instead of either SoapUI besides the json vs. xml?  

- Why is SoapUI referred to as part of the the Ready! API platform?  It looks like a totally independent, separate products. 

- Also, I see the pricing of SoapUI NG Pro but nothing about the pricing of Ready! API TestServer?  I don't see that anywhere.

Thanks

1 Reply

• TestServer technically is a REST API wrapped around the Ready! API solution.  That allows our users to interact with it in a more dynamic way.  

There are two common uses for TestServer:

1. Developers would write code to dynamically generate and process Ready! API tests.  This would allow the developers to use the Ready! API platform without installing additional software.  This would also allow developers to integrate other test frameworks like Cucumber, JUnit, etc to use our engine for testing their APIs

2. TestServer can be the central runner for all SoapUI tests.  This requires a central TestServer to be available on the network, and then you can use that as an engine to run the tests and give you pass/fail results.  That way you don't have to install Ready! API on everybody's machine.  You also would not have to install and activate every node for your CI machine that would run SoapUI NG in headless mode

Let me know if you have further questions.  Thanks,

Mike