Forum Discussion

joelgluth
Contributor
15 years ago

Something to watch out for at the beginning of test threads

Something I've noticed recently...

The first web service call of a given thread (for example in a load test) will be a lot slower. If you're recording individual test step times somewhere (for example using Groovy, to correlate inputs with return times) then it's worth knowing.

For example, if I start 8 threads, all hitting the same no-arg web service operation returning a small string, and write the timings (in ms) to a file in the order they return, it will look like this:

This is repeatable with 100 or 200 or n threads, there will always be exactly n very long times coming back, even when the first threads start returning second and third values before the later threads return for the first time. It's not a particular number of milliseconds; larger operations suffer proportionally more but it's hard to quantify so far.

It appears to be a per-thread startup hangover. I hesitate to call it a bug, since getting precise (ie., functional) results out of what is effectively a load test is a bit much to ask, but it's worth making a note of.

J

1 Reply

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Joel,

thanks for reporting this, it definitely needs to be figured out.. probably there is some lazy initialization going on that should be performed upfront to no mess with the results.. We'll let you know when we find something..

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com