Forum Discussion

jstafford
New Contributor
9 years ago

SoapUI NG completely has itself... not sure how to describe

So we just upgraded to ReadyAPI from the standalone SoapUI Pro 5.1.2 and immediately all of our test suites were broken so bad that ReadyAPI's UI would just choke and become unresponsive or not allow you to add or change properties. So, we're in the process of rebuilding some of the test suites. As we built each step, things seemed to go fine, but when we chained some things together, everything broke and stays broke (unresponseive, ignores input, tests fail with no feedback, etc) until we restart the application. I've attached a video showing a single example -- here's whats going on in the video...

1. We have a setup suite that basically gets an auth token from our server manually and then uses it to grab user details. It runs some groovy scripts to set the properties that it parses out of the token request and details request onto the test case so that we can get at it from other test suites
  2. In our Test suite (in the example), we have a case that will run the Setup Suite and then transfer the properties into the suite being run so that they can be accessed by the test cases. You see that the setup case is disabled so that it doesn't execute when the entire suite is run, rather it only runs when called explicitly.
  3. In the test case, we run the setup case and then use the values that were set in step 2 in order to make the requests to our API
We set it up like this so we only have to set a couple values in the Setup test suite and have it propogate across all of our test suites.

Here's what you're seeing happen in the video:

1. I run the setup suite, no errors.
  2. I run the call to the setup suite from the setup case in our test suite, no errors
  3. I run the test case which calls the setup case, etc. It errors but doesn't say why. I cannot drill into any steps to see what the problem is
  4. I go back a step and run the setup case again, if failes without saying why.
  5. I back up another step and run the Setup Suite by itself and it errors without saying why
  6. I try to open one of the steps in the setup case in the setup suite and it doesn't let me. First it just doesn' open, then it doesn't even let me select anything.

I can reliably execute this scenario every time. I've even tried letting it sit for 10 minutes before interacting with it again and no change.

This exact setup worked perfectly in SoapUI Pro 5.1.2 without any problems or weirdness. This is only one case I'm giving where everything craps out. I have seen this in numerous places. In fact, this is what prompted us to rewrite the test suites to begin with because we figured the entire ready api was just one big breaking change with the project formats or something.

At any rate, we are LIVID. The license is now moved to ReadyAPI and the projects "updated" and tests not longer work. Dead in the water.

What. The. Eff.

SmartBear products have THE WORST UX I have ever seen in my life and it's obvious that the code is probably completely spaghetti. And it feels like no unit tests were written for the application which is... ironic, to say the least.

</vent>

Anyway...

Any suggestions would help, or if there's any way to capture logs that I don't know about (I can rarely find anything in the application anyway...)

3 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Which ReadyAPI version did you upgrade to? I see there are more requests on the forum for 1.5.0. But 1.4.1 should be ok.
      jstafford
      New Contributor
      I have 1.5. Does 1.4 have less problems? Can I even get my hands on it at this stage?
        MattiH
        Staff

I suggest looking in the Transaction log tab ( and the Log (lower left)

See screen shot.

Kind regards,

Matti