Forum Discussion

austino
Contributor
10 years ago

[Reg] Cannot Move or Delete Test Steps

I've noticed that after working in SoapUI for awhile, eventually things will stop working properly, such as moving test steps or deleting test steps. It always seems to happen after a certain amount of cloning test cases or test steps.

Problem 1: Trying to move test steps around (change their element order). Using the CTRL + up/down arrow is very useful, but I start to notice after a certain amount of time the element goes up or down one spot, then unselects itself, while when the program is behaving correctly, I can move the elements up or down freely however many times I want. This is always resolved by saving my project, closing SoapUI, and reopening it.

Problem 2: Trying to delete test steps. Just like problem one, after a certain amount of time of adding/updating/rearranging things in SoapUI, deleting steps just stops working, either via the Delete button or delete menu option. The problem is always resolved by closing SoapUI and reopening. One time I continued working even when this problem persisted, and the next day I noticed one of my REST Service Resource trees was completely corrupt which lost me a day's worth of work. Not sure if this is related, but worth noting.

I'm using 5.1.2 now, but I just upgraded from 4.6.4 which behaved the same way. I use SoapUI throughout the day, and on a typical day I run into these problems about 6 times. I think this issue should be marked critical, especially if the data corruption is related to this issue. I'm not sure how to provide any logs for this issue in particular, so if someone let's me know what would be useful, I'd gladly supply the files.

10 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

What operating system are you using SoapUI Pro on? Also, are you using a composite project or a standard soapui project?

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
  • Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I am using a composite project now, but when I was on 4.6.4 I noticed this issue also happened before I switched over to the composite project.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

Are there any exceptions in the .log files in <SoapUI Pro install>\bin directory or the error log tab when you start to see this behavior occur? If this problem starts to occur after a period of time please try increasing the java max heap space in the <SoapUI Pro install>\bin\.vmoptions file by setting -Xmx to something like -Xmx2048m as this could be related to memory usage. You will need to restart SoapUI Pro for the JVM settings to take affect.

http://www.soapui.org/Working-with-soap ... usage.html

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
  • I will look for exceptions next time this issue occurs and pass any on that I see. I will also increase the java max heap space, thanks!
  • Issue just occurred again, this appears to be the relevant error:

2014-10-23 11:58:26,310 ERROR [errorlog] org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlValueDisconnectedException
    org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlValueDisconnectedException
    at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlObjectBase.check_orphaned(XmlObjectBase.java:1244)
    at com.eviware.soapui.config.impl.TestCaseConfigImpl.sizeOfBreakPointsArray(TestCaseConfigImpl.java:1228)
    at com.eviware.soapui.config.impl.TestCaseConfigImpl$1BreakPointsList.size(TestCaseConfigImpl.java:1175)
    at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.hasNext(Unknown Source)
    at com.eviware.soapui.debug.BreakPoints.removeBreakPoint(SourceFile:161)
    at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.WsdlTestCasePro.removeTestStep(SourceFile:238)
    at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.actions.teststep.DeleteTestStepAction.perform(DeleteTestStepAction.java:44)
    at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.actions.teststep.DeleteTestStepAction.perform(DeleteTestStepAction.java:31)
    at com.eviware.soapui.support.action.swing.SwingActionDelegate.actionPerformed(SwingActionDelegate.java:89)
    at com.eviware.soapui.support.action.swing.DefaultActionList.dispatchKeyEvent(DefaultActionList.java:119)
    at com.eviware.soapui.ui.Navigator$TreeKeyListener.keyPressed(Navigator.java:225)
    at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.keyPressed(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

Thanks for posting the exception, it looks like some problem is occurring during the deletion process. I will try to reproduce this behavior locally. I may need your project if it shows the issue quickly. If you can send your project please send by support ticket here.

http://www.soapui.org/Support/support-overview.html

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

I have reproduced this issue with your project, thanks for sending. I have opened an internal defect of SOAP-2964 for this issue. This occurs very randomly, you also have a lot of test suites in one project. Are able to break them up by any chance into different projects?

Regards,
    Marcus
    SmartBear Support
  • Hi Marcus,

Yes, it does occur very randomly. Our service project is pretty big and a lot of it is modular, so I don't think it's feasible for me to break it down into other projects. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned to increase the java max heap space and that has increased SoapUI performance greatly, but didn't stop the bug from appearing. Also, I've been having this issue since I started the project in August (when there were way fewer services), I just didn't know what was going on at that time. Thank you for looking into it.
      austino
      Contributor

Just wanted to mention that this issue is still present in Soap NG in the Ready! API program using version 1.4.1.

bhasha
    Occasional Contributor

I'm also seeing this issue in SoapUI v5.4.0.  On a Mac here.

Is there any resolution?

org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlValueDisconnectedException
       	at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlObjectBase.check_orphaned(XmlObjectBase.java:1244)
       	at com.eviware.soapui.config.impl.ModelItemConfigImpl.getName(ModelItemConfigImpl.java:208)
       	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.AbstractWsdlModelItem.getName(AbstractWsdlModelItem.java:103)
       	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.teststeps.WsdlTestStep.getLabel(WsdlTestStep.java:91)
       	at TestRunner$_deleteAllTempSteps_closure4$_closure5$_closure6.doCall(TestRunner.groovy:178)
       	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor23.invoke(Unknown Source)
       	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
       	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:93)
       	at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(MetaMethod.java:325)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ClosureMetaClass.invokeMethod(ClosureMetaClass.java:294)
       	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1019)
       	at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:426)
       	at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:442)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:2030)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:2015)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:2056)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.dgm$162.doMethodInvoke(Unknown Source)
       	at TestRunner$_deleteAllTempSteps_closure4$_closure5.doCall(TestRunner.groovy:173)
       	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor24.invoke(Unknown Source)
       	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ClosureMetaClass.invokeMethod(ClosureMetaClass.java:294)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:2030)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:2015)
       	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:2056)
       	at TestRunner$_deleteAllTempSteps_closure4.doCall(TestRunner.groovy:171)
       	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor25.invoke(Unknown Source)
       	at TestRunner.deleteAllTempSteps(TestRunner.groovy:169)
       	at TestRunner$deleteAllTempSteps.call(Unknown Source)
       	at Script1.run(Script1.groovy:3)
       	at com.eviware.soapui.support.scripting.groovy.SoapUIGroovyScriptEngine.run(SoapUIGroovyScriptEngine.java:90)
       	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.teststeps.WsdlGroovyScriptTestStep.run(WsdlGroovyScriptTestStep.java:141)
       	at com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.panels.teststeps.GroovyScriptStepDesktopPanel$RunAction$1.run(GroovyScriptStepDesktopPanel.java:250)
       	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
       	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
       	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)