Forum Discussion

harry
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Ready API integration with cucumber

I was looking for the documentation for  to integrate Ready API  with cucumber . we want to go with BDD frame work approach . IS there any sample project (or)  Tutorial video ?

• Hey harry 

There was a link I'm trying to find (SmartBear published it) a while back about BDDs in ReadyAPI - struggling to find it right now (but I'll summarise the article below) - but the following link uses the petstore example project as the basis for ReadyAPI BDDs --> https://github.com/SmartBear/testserver-cucumber

Regarding the resource I cant find quite now - the summary of the article was as follows:

1.  Prefix the names of your test steps using GIVEN, WHEN, THEN - e.g. for a POST step - it might be called 'WHEN - POST Request', etc.

2.  REMEMBER!  Most REST clients/API testing tools will submit a request and a response is returned on that request and the assertions are saved ON that request.  If you think about it - this doesn't work if you want to split out your test steps from the perspective of the Gherkin syntax of GIVEN, WHEN & THEN - cos the WHEN (when the request is submitted) and the THEN (the expected results - the assertions) are on the same test step object within your test case.  Hence the one of the main reasons I don't think BDDs work as well in a REST client/API testing tools.  HOWEVER - ReadyAPI! includes an 'Assertion' test step object - which should allow you to separate out the WHEN and THEN statements - cos using the Assertion test step - this allows you to have separate test step objects with the correct WHEN and THEN prefix.

So your testcase hierarchy might be as follows:

If you have a testcase that uses the DataSource (file type), followed by a PropertyTransfer direct to a POST REST step - if not using Gherkin syntax, your testcase would appear as follows in your TestSuite object

TestSuite

----TestCase

---------DataSource(filetype)

---------POST Request

HOWEVER - if you want to create the above testcase using BDDs - your testcase would appear something like the following:

TestSuite

------TestCase

------'GIVEN - DataSource'

------'WHEN - POST Request'

------'THEN - Assertion Step'

I've never actually used the Assertion step before and my laptop's getting wiped as I type - so I cant check if the Assertion Step supports >1 assertion at a type - if it doesn't and you wanted to assert on say 2 items for example, your test case would appear as follows:

TestSuite

------TestCase

------'AND THEN - Assertion Step'

Cheers,

Rich

3 Replies

richie
    Community Hero

Hey harry 

There was a link I'm trying to find (SmartBear published it) a while back about BDDs in ReadyAPI - struggling to find it right now (but I'll summarise the article below) - but the following link uses the petstore example project as the basis for ReadyAPI BDDs --> https://github.com/SmartBear/testserver-cucumber

Regarding the resource I cant find quite now - the summary of the article was as follows:

1.  Prefix the names of your test steps using GIVEN, WHEN, THEN - e.g. for a POST step - it might be called 'WHEN - POST Request', etc.

2.  REMEMBER!  Most REST clients/API testing tools will submit a request and a response is returned on that request and the assertions are saved ON that request.  If you think about it - this doesn't work if you want to split out your test steps from the perspective of the Gherkin syntax of GIVEN, WHEN & THEN - cos the WHEN (when the request is submitted) and the THEN (the expected results - the assertions) are on the same test step object within your test case.  Hence the one of the main reasons I don't think BDDs work as well in a REST client/API testing tools.  HOWEVER - ReadyAPI! includes an 'Assertion' test step object - which should allow you to separate out the WHEN and THEN statements - cos using the Assertion test step - this allows you to have separate test step objects with the correct WHEN and THEN prefix.

So your testcase hierarchy might be as follows:

If you have a testcase that uses the DataSource (file type), followed by a PropertyTransfer direct to a POST REST step - if not using Gherkin syntax, your testcase would appear as follows in your TestSuite object

TestSuite

----TestCase

---------DataSource(filetype)

---------POST Request

HOWEVER - if you want to create the above testcase using BDDs - your testcase would appear something like the following:

TestSuite

------TestCase

I've never actually used the Assertion step before and my laptop's getting wiped as I type - so I cant check if the Assertion Step supports >1 assertion at a type - if it doesn't and you wanted to assert on say 2 items for example, your test case would appear as follows:

TestSuite

------TestCase

------'AND THEN - Assertion Step'

Cheers,

Rich

harry
      Contributor

Thanks Richie. I will  try and get back to you

sonya_m
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thank you Rich! Great reply!

Hi harry, did you give this approach a try?