Forum Discussion

pandian66
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Not able to connect to Oracle from DataSource with type as JDBC

Getting the following error , when connecting to oracle DB in DataSource Step but its all good if I connect through Toad

Can't get the Connection for specified properties; java.sql.SQLException: Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

Here are the details :

DataSource :

DataSource :  JDBC

Driver : oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

Connection String : jdbc:oracle:thin:cmpvauto/PASS_VALUE@mydbserver:1521:mydb

TNSNAMES.ORA

Descrption :

MYDB=
  (DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS=
      (PROTOCOL=TCP)
      (HOST=mydbserver)
      (PORT=1521)
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA=
      (SERVER=dedicated)
      (SERVICE_NAME=mydb)
    )
  )

Toad Configuration

SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\ORACLE (Oracle Root)
  ORACLE_HOME_NAME: 
  ORACLE_HOME: 
  ORACLE_SID: 
  NLS_LANG: 
  SQLPATH: 
  LOCAL: 
  Home directory  does not exist!
  Home is not valid!
SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\ORACLE\KEY_ORACLIENT11G_HOME1
  ORACLE_HOME_NAME:  OraClient11g_home1
  ORACLE_HOME:  C:\app\User\product\11.2.0\client_1
  ORACLE_SID: 
  NLS_LANG:  AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252
  SQLPATH:  C:\app\User\product\11.2.0\client_1\dbs
  LOCAL: 
  C:\app\User\product\11.2.0\client_1\Bin exists.
  C:\app\User\product\11.2.0\client_1\Bin is in PATH.
  Client DLL:  C:\app\User\product\11.2.0\client_1\Bin\oci.dll
  Client Version:  11.2.0.1.0
  Home is valid.

• Ok - this is me trying to help cos of my Oracle experience, NOT SoapUI experience - Its been 4 years since I connected SoapUI to an Oracle database - I haven't got an Oracle DB to connect at moment and I haven't got the space on my harddrive to install the personal edition to check

The database you are trying to connect to doesnt use an SID, it's the Service Name that is specified in your config and the 2 are not equivalent.

SID is a single unique instance name (not the db name) whereas Service name can be an alias to multiple db instances.

you need to play with the JDBC connection string slightly - if I remember correctly the SID was separated by a colon, 'I think' the service name was separated by an oblique (/) - also the earlier part of the connection string might be a little different to the SID connection string - I just can't remember its been so long since I did this.

Easiest way to check?  Try using the thin driver's connection string (rather than connecting to the db via the tnsnames.ora file) in Toad (there should be a thin driver connection option - although I can't remember if TOAD automatically picks up the tnsnames.ora file - if its local I think it does, if the file's remote it won't.

Worst case - download DBVisualiser or something like that, that definitely can use a connection string rather than the tnsnames.ora file.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

• Richie and Rao , thanks for your follow-up, really appreciate your help.

Rao , I am able to connect thru Toad.

I was able to talk to my DB team and get the SID value for the DB being used and changed the connection string to use the SID value instead of the Service_name and now the connection is established

So we can consider this issue as closed now

Thanks

Pandian

3 Replies

richie
    Community Hero

Ok - this is me trying to help cos of my Oracle experience, NOT SoapUI experience - Its been 4 years since I connected SoapUI to an Oracle database - I haven't got an Oracle DB to connect at moment and I haven't got the space on my harddrive to install the personal edition to check

The database you are trying to connect to doesnt use an SID, it's the Service Name that is specified in your config and the 2 are not equivalent.

SID is a single unique instance name (not the db name) whereas Service name can be an alias to multiple db instances.

you need to play with the JDBC connection string slightly - if I remember correctly the SID was separated by a colon, 'I think' the service name was separated by an oblique (/) - also the earlier part of the connection string might be a little different to the SID connection string - I just can't remember its been so long since I did this.

Easiest way to check?  Try using the thin driver's connection string (rather than connecting to the db via the tnsnames.ora file) in Toad (there should be a thin driver connection option - although I can't remember if TOAD automatically picks up the tnsnames.ora file - if its local I think it does, if the file's remote it won't.

Worst case - download DBVisualiser or something like that, that definitely can use a connection string rather than the tnsnames.ora file.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

pandian66
    Occasional Contributor

Richie and Rao , thanks for your follow-up, really appreciate your help.

Rao , I am able to connect thru Toad.

I was able to talk to my DB team and get the SID value for the DB being used and changed the connection string to use the SID value instead of the Service_name and now the connection is established

So we can consider this issue as closed now

Thanks

Pandian

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Are you able to connect it thru sqlplus commandline? It appears that listener is not registered.