Forum Discussion

SmartBear217
Contributor
5 years ago

How do I import TestRunner/How do I fail a test case without testRunner?

For a groovy assertion, testRunner is not available apparently. Sometimes at the top it says testRunner but this only says "Script is invoked with log, context and messageExchange variables".

So I cannot do testRunner.fail()

How do I import testRunner? 

or How do I fail the test case without the testRunner?

5 Replies

• Update: I found one possible solution here: https://onebyteatatime.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/soapui-tips-n-tricks-part-1/

I still have to test it though.

Possible solution:

I cannot refer to testRunner object in my groovy assertion. How do I access a test-case or step therein from my groovy assertion?

This was quite an interesting one. typically when you want to access a current test case you would use a syntax

testRunner.testCase

this works perfectly fine in a plain groovy step or setup or tear down scripts. However, when you try referring to testRunner within a groovy assertion step, soapUI throws exception. The workaround to this is accessing testCase or test step via ‘context’ object. So you can use a syntax

context.getTestCase().getTestStepByName(“MyStep”) OR
    context.getTestRunner()

depending on your need.

richie
      Community Hero

Hi SmartBear217 

One of the decent groovy scripters on here will be able to explain better than  I - I only play with it - but what you've found is correct - for a Groovy TestStep - testRunner is available, but for a script assertion it isn't, so you have to use messageExchange 

For example - the following works in a groovy script - the next is part of a script to grab a response header called 'originalFileName' that was generated from a step entitled 'POST Request (create call)'

//Takes one of the elements of the response Header
      def value = testRunner.testCase.testSteps["POST Request (create call)"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["originalFilename"]

Whereas for a script assertion to do the same thing I had to use messageExchange

//Takes one of the elements of the response Header
      def value = messageExchange.modelItem.testStep.testCase.testSteps["POST Request (create call)"].testRequest.response.responseHeaders["originalFilename"]

Does that help at all?   As I say - I'm not a groovy scripter I just play around with it - one of the other chaps on here will be able to explain it all

cheers,

rich

SmartBear217
        Contributor

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure this helps because the question was "How do I fail the test case without the testRunner?"