Forum Discussion

Ton636
Contributor
12 years ago

Emoji characters not handled?

Hi there,

I think soapUI (4.5.1 pro) has a problem handling emoji characters. I've been doing some tests pulling in content originally in Twitter, that contains emoji. When I do the exact same call in another REST client, it displayes the emoji in the XML without a problem. soapUI however chokes and can't parse the XML. Assertions fail with

"XPathContains assertion failed for path [exists( //jobDetails/lastResponse)] : XmlException:error: Illegal XML Character: 0xd83d org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.piccolo.io.IllegalCharException: Illegal XML Character: 0xd83d at "

It seems that soapUI is not handling character U+1F419 (in this example) correctly. According to our developers, that should be valid in XML (and again, for example the Firefox REST client, has no problem with the exact same XML).

We had similar problems in our application code handling emoji, which were resolved by updating the XML parsing library to a newer version. Not certain about the details.

Ps. I am unable to paste an example of the xml, as it seems this forum throws an sql exception on it

2 Replies

mskang

Hi, Henrik

Is there any update for this issue ?

We are experiencing same problem with SoapUI 5.3.0

XmlException:error: Illegal XML Character: 0xd83d

Regards

Minsoo