Forum Discussion

harmans
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Database connection in Setup script

Hi,

I am trying to create database connection one time in the Setup script (under TestSuite) instead of creating a new connection in all of the assertions / testcases.

So below is the groovy script in the Setup (at TestSuite Level)

import groovy.sql.Sql
com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils.registerJdbcDriver("com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver")
def db = [url:'jdbc:sqlserver://127.0.0.1:1433;databaseName=Test123',user:'user',password:'password',driver:'com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver']
try{
def connection = Sql.newInstance(db.url, db.user, db.password, db.driver)
context.setProperty("dbconn",connection)
log.info "connected to the database"

}catch(Exception e){
log.error "Could not connect to the database"
}

And the script in my assertion is. But the below code does not work. How do i retrieve context property dbconn in the assertion ?

if(context.dbconn){
def sql = context.dbconn
sql.eachRow("select ua.[contact_name], ua.[contact_last_name] from [dbo].[USER_ACCOUNT] where [user_id] = 'abc' ")
{row ->
log.info("$row.contact_name")
}
}

3 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

We usually don't provide support for groovy scripting, but a quick glance reveals the problem. The way properties in SoapUI work is that they are all strings, so you aren't able to save a database connection there.

What you can do is set up a JDBC connection at the project level (Look for the "JDBC connections" tab in the Project view" and use that in your tests.

Regards,
    Arian
    SmartBear Sweden
    harmans
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

My question is SOAPUI specific and not about groovy. I can configure database under JDBC Connections but i will still need to create a separate instance for each test case (i want to create database connection only one time in the setup script). Please correct me if i am wrong.

The syntax for setProperty is setProperty(String name, Object value), so i can store an Object.
    Please refer http://www.soapui.org/apidocs/com/eviwa ... .Object%29

If i put complete code in setup script, it works ( put the complete code below in setup script and it will print the value of contact_name ). Its just that the i cannot retrieve the context of the testsuite (in the setup script at testsuite level) in the Groovy Teststep.

import groovy.sql.Sql
    com.eviware.soapui.support.GroovyUtils.registerJdbcDriver("com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver")
    def db = [url:'jdbc:sqlserver://127.0.0.1:1433;databaseName=Test123',user:'user',password:'password',driver:'com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver']
    try{
    def connection = Sql.newInstance(db.url, db.user, db.password, db.driver)
    context.setProperty("dbconn",connection)
    log.info "connected to the database"
    }catch(Exception e){
    log.error "Could not connect to the database"
    }
    if(context.dbconn){
    def sql = context.dbconn
    sql.eachRow("select ua.[contact_name], ua.[contact_last_name] from [dbo].[USER_ACCOUNT] where [user_id] = 'abc' ")
    {row ->
    log.info("$row.contact_name")
    }
    }
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,
    We still suggest you set up a JDBC connection at the project level (Look for the "JDBC connections" tab in the Project view" ). Please refer this link http://www.soapui.org/Working-with-Proj ... tions.html
    It is no need to create a separate instance for each test case.Connections configured on a project level can later be used in JDBC DataSource, JDBC DataSink and JDBCRequest TestSteps.

Regards,
    Li
    SmartBear Sweden