Ask a Question

Create File with UTF-8 encoding

SOLVED
danielmbanks
Occasional Contributor

Create File with UTF-8 encoding

Hi,

In the "Create File" test step, there are two options for "File encoding": Unicode and US-ASCII. Is there any way to instead use UTF-8 for the encoding? Or an alternative test step that could achieve the same result.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Radford
Super Contributor

Re: Create File with UTF-8 encoding

I have encountered this very issue.

The problem is that Unicode is a bit ambiguous as it can be implemented by various different character encoding standards. While many would assume that it would use ubiquitous "UTF-8" character encoding Ready API in fact uses the valid but now obsolete "UCS-2" character encoding (I identified this using Notepad++).

I raised this with SmartBear support and they reproduced and confirmed the issue. An enhancement request RIA-744 was raised to allow you to select the Unicode encoding you want to use. I'm unsure if and when this will be implemented.

I was lucky I could get away with using US-ASCII, as an alternative you can look at Groovy to write files (This is what we did before the Create File step was implemented).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nmrao
Community Hero

Do you like to try it and see if you face any error?

By the way, what is your OS? What does it show => Menu => Help => System Properties => file.encoding?

Regards,
Rao.
Radford
Super Contributor

I have encountered this very issue.

The problem is that Unicode is a bit ambiguous as it can be implemented by various different character encoding standards. While many would assume that it would use ubiquitous "UTF-8" character encoding Ready API in fact uses the valid but now obsolete "UCS-2" character encoding (I identified this using Notepad++).

I raised this with SmartBear support and they reproduced and confirmed the issue. An enhancement request RIA-744 was raised to allow you to select the Unicode encoding you want to use. I'm unsure if and when this will be implemented.

I was lucky I could get away with using US-ASCII, as an alternative you can look at Groovy to write files (This is what we did before the Create File step was implemented).

View solution in original post

danielmbanks
Occasional Contributor

Great answer, thanks!

Do you have a link to RIA-744? I've not seen the ReadyAPI enhancement requests process yet.

Radford
Super Contributor

I don't think that there is a published list of requests (I've not seen one), all I'm aware of is this Feature Requests forum.  

I raised the issue directly with support and they raised RIA-744 internally. Personally I consider this a bug, but I think that it got raised as an enhancement request as strictly speaking "UCS-2" is valid.

All I can suggest is that you raise the issue yourself with support quoting RIA-744, as if more people raise the issue perhaps it's priority will increase?

Sorry I can't help further...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: