Forum Discussion

danielmbanks
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Create File with UTF-8 encoding

Hi,

In the "Create File" test step, there are two options for "File encoding": Unicode and US-ASCII. Is there any way to instead use UTF-8 for the encoding? Or an alternative test step that could achieve the same result.

• I have encountered this very issue.

The problem is that Unicode is a bit ambiguous as it can be implemented by various different character encoding standards. While many would assume that it would use ubiquitous "UTF-8" character encoding Ready API in fact uses the valid but now obsolete "UCS-2" character encoding (I identified this using Notepad++).

I raised this with SmartBear support and they reproduced and confirmed the issue. An enhancement request RIA-744 was raised to allow you to select the Unicode encoding you want to use. I'm unsure if and when this will be implemented.

I was lucky I could get away with using US-ASCII, as an alternative you can look at Groovy to write files (This is what we did before the Create File step was implemented).

4 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Do you like to try it and see if you face any error?

By the way, what is your OS? What does it show => Menu => Help => System Properties => file.encoding?
      Radford
      Super Contributor

I have encountered this very issue.

The problem is that Unicode is a bit ambiguous as it can be implemented by various different character encoding standards. While many would assume that it would use ubiquitous "UTF-8" character encoding Ready API in fact uses the valid but now obsolete "UCS-2" character encoding (I identified this using Notepad++).

I raised this with SmartBear support and they reproduced and confirmed the issue. An enhancement request RIA-744 was raised to allow you to select the Unicode encoding you want to use. I'm unsure if and when this will be implemented.

I was lucky I could get away with using US-ASCII, as an alternative you can look at Groovy to write files (This is what we did before the Create File step was implemented).

danielmbanks
        Occasional Contributor

Great answer, thanks!

Do you have a link to RIA-744? I've not seen the ReadyAPI enhancement requests process yet.