Forum Discussion

VaniV28
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Advise on designing scenario based test case

Hi,

Could anyone please advise me to design scenario-based test cases for the following

I have an application with sections and with different statuses

Status A

Status B

Status C

Roles

Sec A

Read Only

Editable

Read Only

L1

Sec B

Read Only

Read Only

Editable

L2

Sec C

Read Only

Editable

Editable

L3

L1 role with status A all sections Read Only

L1 role with Status B
Sec 1 - Can edit
sec 2 - Read Only
Sec 3 - Read Only

L1 role with Status C
Sec 1 - Read Only
Sec 2 - Can Edit
Sec 3 - Read Only

L2 role with status A all sections Read Only

L2 role with Status B
Sec 1 - Read Only
Sec 2 - Read Only

Sec 3 - Can Edit

L2 role with Status C
Sec 1 - Read Only
Sec 2 - Read Only
Sec 3 - Can Edit

L3 role with status A all sections Read Only

L3 role with Status B 

Sec 1 - Can Edit
Sec 2 - Ready Only
Sec 3 - Ready Only

L3 role with Status C
Sec 1 - Read Only

Sec 2 - Can Edit
Sec 3 - Read Only

Hope I have explained clearly, as I'm fairly new to automation any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Vani

• Hi VaniV28 

is this API testing or is this some other automation you need to do?

You need to remember that the info you have supplied although it means something to you - it means nothing to anyone else - you've listed a number of scenarios based on their logical partitions - but the forum members aren't going to understand the significance of those logical partitions listed.  We don't even know the significance or what a 'section' is relative to the context of what you are trying to test.

also - this looks like front end stuff as you haven't mentioned any interface/api info at all - i could be wrong here - you could be creating BDD tests in SoapUI - but it looks like front end automation scenarios at the moment.

can you answer the above questions and provide the relevant info of what someone unfamiliar with your project would need to answer your question?  That should help the forum users help nail down how to help

cheers,

rich

2 Replies

richie
    Community Hero

Hi VaniV28 

is this API testing or is this some other automation you need to do?

You need to remember that the info you have supplied although it means something to you - it means nothing to anyone else - you've listed a number of scenarios based on their logical partitions - but the forum members aren't going to understand the significance of those logical partitions listed.  We don't even know the significance or what a 'section' is relative to the context of what you are trying to test.

also - this looks like front end stuff as you haven't mentioned any interface/api info at all - i could be wrong here - you could be creating BDD tests in SoapUI - but it looks like front end automation scenarios at the moment.

can you answer the above questions and provide the relevant info of what someone unfamiliar with your project would need to answer your question?  That should help the forum users help nail down how to help

cheers,

rich

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thank you for taking a look, Richie!

VaniV28 we will be happy to try and help you, please explain your task in more detail and how ReadyAPI is involved, thank you!