Forum Discussion

tbe
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

Is there a way of linking two tests together without having to create a test set?

I would like to be able to write test steps once and use many times in combination with other tests. 

Is there a way to do this without creating "many" test sets (sequential test order control) ?

9 Replies

Nastya_Khovrina
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi,

If you have steps that you need to repeat for many tests you can copy Steps from an existing test into your new test. 

While creating a new test (or editing an existing one) go to the Steps tab. On the Steps tab, you will see a Test Selection panel on the right (if it's hidden click the double-chevron in the light blue bar). Use the Folder and Filter drop downs to navigate to any other Test that you have created. To copy existing steps drag them into the list on the left side.

Please see my sample video: http://screencast.com/t/CdKb30ZdwLYQ.

For additional information, please refer to the Creating Manual Tests article.

Anastasia

Customer Care Team

tbe
      Occasional Contributor

So when there is a change, how many places do I need to go to?  One or all the places I copied the steps into.  

I am looking for a solution of "write once, use many times" meaning when it changes, I only go to one place to make the change.

Nastya_Khovrina
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Do you need this option for a Test Step or for a Test?

A Test Step won't be updated automatically if it changes somewhere. You will need to edit it manually.

But, if you update a Test you'll see an updated version of this Test in every Test Set which has this Test.

Anastasia

Customer Care Team