Forum Discussion

wcgconsult
New Contributor
8 years ago

302 warnings what exactly do the mean and why do I get hundreds of them?

I get hundreds if not thousands of these warnings what do they mean I don't want to just dismiss them. Expecting 200 server return code but getting a 302 how and why does this happen?

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> what do they mean [...]

The following links (and the original RFC text of course) might help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_302

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E302.html

> [...] why does this happen?

You should talk to your web site administrator and/or developers to figure out what was changed in the site structure and/or application code.

You should consider recording new tests if the site / code was changed to keep the behaviour of your load tests as close to the reality as possible.

fazira
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex, 

I'm wondering if status code 302 mean that my test is ok . 

In my case, a login scenario. Completed test, no error but with 302 status- was the login successful because when i check 

the header, there are some field that do not have result on the simulated tab. 

thanks in advance. 

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

Status code 302 means that the server commanded the client to request some other page instead of the initially requested by the client. This is a common technique to handle, say, the changed structure of web site or during login procedure.

So it is only you and your developers who can say whether or not this is correct for your given web site.

However, if you are talking about "hundreds of" redirections, this is definitely not good as redirects increase load on the web server and decrease response time for the client.

In general, if redirects were recorded when recording scenario, this may be considered to be the expected behavior. (Especially, after additional analysis of the recorded traffic when, for example, you are redirected to the login page if a cookie was not provided in the request.)

It is difficult to say why some of the recorded fields were not replayed. Most probably, this is because the design and/or implementation of some pages was changed and those fields are no more part of the request. Note, that this is a common problem of all load tests - it is far not easy (without constant re-recording) to guarantee that the requests that were recorded initially and that you are trying to replay still correspond to the traffic generated by the current version of web site.

So you may try to re-record the same scenario and check whether or not problematic fields are still part of their corresponding requests.