Forum Discussion

sarahmz
New Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete Repo Question

Hi, we have created a repository that includes all the files to run a test case. However, the size of the repo could get really large (mainly due to the .png's). Is there something we can do to minimize the size of what is committed through the repo on mercurial while maintaining the functionality of the test cases?

5 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

We don't commit our log files.  Can you skip that folder in your commit setup?

sarahmz
      New Contributor

We will need to have the png's because the test is based on comparing the expected image and the actual image to see if the test case's functionality is working. We originally ignored the png's but without that our test case fails.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Okay, but that's two separate things.

With the .png for your test, do you store them all in one folder?  Possibly you could zip that folder before you commit it to the repository in order to save some space.

Your test logs are probably large because of the .png snapshots.  We only save one copy of the log, the final one to show that the test works, and that still isn't in the repository.  If you need to keep those in the repository, I'd zip that folder too.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    While I understand that image comparisons are useful and that a redesign might cost time, is there any way to refactoring your test to do the same checks without needing to do image comparisons? If all you are doing is checking propertIES of objects, you can use object checkpoints for that.

I know this isn't a perfect solution but, honestly, I haven't found a real need for image comparisons unless I am ACTUALLY comparing an image (like a graph, etc).