Forum Discussion

Philip_Baird
Community Expert
11 years ago

Editing/Deleting erroneous forum posts

Hi, recently I posted a reply which was erroneous and needed correction, or, better yet, deletion, This post was neither accepted or voted on.

It would be nice if the creator of a post was able to edit (better yet, delete) said post at ANY time, not the short time that the forum allows. I can understand that if a post has been accepted or voted on it is not desirable to have the post edited

It seems a waste of real estate, and potential confusion, to have to correct a post by creating another one that may not even appear under the post that is being corrected.

4 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Phil,

I thought that editing posts is always allowed for the post creator. I'll check this behavior, and refer this issue to our web team.

Thanks!
    Philip_Baird
    Community Expert
    Hi Tanya, having logged onto the forum, my first Post only offers the following options

Quote | Report Abuse

Please see attached screen shot

When first created, I had the following options available,

Edit | Quote | Report Abuse

but after a short time, the Edit option is no longer available

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert
    Apologies for the lack of screen shot, it appears the forum is not only not letting me edit posts, It not longer allows me to add attachments
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Phil,

I've checked this question with our Web Team. It turns out that editing posts is possible only during 15 minutes after it was submitted. I know that many forums, such as StackOverflow, allow editing replies (and even replies of other people). So, perhaps, we will need to revise the current behavior in our forums.