Forum Discussion

Wanderings
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

For keyword testing, is there a way to add a delay until the program has moved on to the next step?

I have an operation that has a variable delay before it is completed and the screen is transitioned to the next part of the program.

Is there a way to add a variable delay to wait until this operation is complete?  Would it be something like adding a While loop to test for the next screen's visibility?  Thanks!

• I would use the On-Screen Object - WaitProperty.  See attached screenshots to correspond below.

1) Select On-Screen object from the TestActions tab.

2) Select the object you want to become visible (or no longer visible)

3) Select WaitProperty for the Method/Property

4) Set the PropertyName to Visible

Set the PropertyValue to True (visible) or False (not visible)

Set the WaitTime to the desired time.  This field uses miliseconds so 1000 = 1 second, 10000 = 10 seconds...

I use this all the time and it's great!

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

10 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Yes, exactly that.  You might want to put a limit on the test though, so you don't end up stuck in that loop forever if the next screen doesn't come up.

cunderw
    Community Hero

As Marsha said you can do a while loop. You can also do a WaitChild as well if you know what object will be visible on the next screen. 

Wanderings
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks all.  The While loop works as a delay until the program hits the next step, but now Test Complete throws an error when it does not find the object it was looping on!  Is there a way to suppress this error for this specific step/loop?  

Edit:  I'm having troubles implementing the WaitChild option in a Keyword test.  Will have to do more research for that.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Let's see a screenshot of your While loop.

DCat1223
    Frequent Contributor

I would use the On-Screen Object - WaitProperty.  See attached screenshots to correspond below.

1) Select On-Screen object from the TestActions tab.

2) Select the object you want to become visible (or no longer visible)

3) Select WaitProperty for the Method/Property

4) Set the PropertyName to Visible

Set the PropertyValue to True (visible) or False (not visible)

Set the WaitTime to the desired time.  This field uses miliseconds so 1000 = 1 second, 10000 = 10 seconds...

I use this all the time and it's great!

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Wanderings
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks all.  DCat1223's solution was exactly what I was looking for - and easiest to implement!  

DCat1223
        Frequent Contributor

My pleasure!  I get so much out of this forum, it's nice to be able to give back for a change!