Forum Discussion

tristaanogre
Esteemed Contributor
12 months ago

Non-Technical Hobbies

Way back in the day, there was a TestComplete training/convention in Las Vegas that I attended.  I wish I could remember the name of the instructor (I believe his first name was Robert) but one thing he did was he brought little mini Lego kits for all attendees.  Why?  Because for him, building with Legos was a therapeutic way of escaping from the technical software world of pushing electrons through silicon to create abstract "things".  By building with Legos, he could actually use his hands to construct something that had physical, tangible shape, look, and feel.

I've been a "Lego-Maniac" since I was 8 years old so I took this advice to heart and have tried to find ways to have hobbies or activities that involved physical, tangible things.  

I still build with Legos and have just completed a very large project.  You can view the video below to see what I accomplished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3uTomTEs6M

I'm also a Dungeons and Dragons player so I've also taken up the hobby of painting mini-figures of my various characters.  Here are a few:

So.... let's hear from others:  What hobbies do you do in your spare time to give "physicality" to your world?

1 Reply

Rache1
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Wow tristaanogre ! Neat!

I enjoy collecting things! - One of my largest collections is of Marvin the Martian figurines and other Marvin the Martian items!  I think it started when I was young and my parents got me a Marvin the Martian doorbell for my bedroom! 🙂