Ask a Question

Wintertainment 2020 - Day 7: Improving Testing Quality With Better Test Management

Wintertainment-2020-day7-top.png

The SmartBear Wintertainment event is almost over, take your chance to participate! Join in the discussion in the comments below, answer the questions at the end of the article to get the chance to win prizes!

See participation rules and event schedule

Improving Testing Quality With Better Test Management 

To kick things off, test management is the process in which you plan, develop, execute, and report on your testing activities. Essentially, you are considering all the testing activity that occurs during each stage of the software development lifecycle, and  reporting on the metrics. 

Traditionally, a common way testers have performed test management was through Excel spreadsheets or Word documents. However, this is a manual process that requires constant management because we are retrofitting a non-test-management business tool for a different use case. Additionally, without a live sync with your defect and requirement management tool (Jira), there is no clear visibility into the test coverage metrics for your feature requirements, and the defects raised from each of those individual test executions. 

It needs to involve Jira 

On the other hand, we are seeing the trend of Agile teams relying on Jira to manage their testing processes by documenting their requirements and defects in the form of issue types. We’re also seeing more teams adopt test automation to automate their testing within CI/CD processes. Inevitably, keeping the manual and automated test cases in sync can be a challenge, especially if the automation testing tools don’t natively integrate with Jira or your test management solution.  

Finally, we arrive at our current state, where we’ve managed to automate some of our most repetitive and time-consuming tests, but are still left asking the question, “So now what?” 

These may be the problems you still face: 

• We are still doing QA on our manual test cases. 
  • We still need to establish test coverage back to our requirements. 
  • We still need to raise defects as needed (for both our manual and automated test executions). 

This is where we can introduce Zephyr into our workflow as a test management tool, because test management and test automation aren’t mutually exclusive. 

Zephyr as a test management solution offers: 

• Single, centralized repository to aggregate both manual and automated test cases. 
  • Link between test cases and Jira requirements. 
  • Live Jira integration to raise and link defects to test executions as needed. 

It’s all about improving efficiency 

The key benefits of a test management solution are varied, but at a high level, the main component is efficiency.If you already live in Jira every day, these changes will not be groundbreaking for you; it will blend into your workflow by providing you with additional test management functionalities (like traceability reports).  

You get faster bug tracking (improving productivity), and you can connect all the moving parts together. In turn, when it comes time to make an informed software release decision, you can say with confidence whether or not a given feature requirement has been tested, and trace the pertinent defects to confirm that they have been resolved. 

With automation tools that integrate with Zephyr, like TestComplete and ReadyAPI (to run your UI and API tests), the process above is much more seamless and doesn’t seem like two different motions. On top of that, integrating with CI/CD tools like Jenkins makes test management and reporting even easier.  

zephyr.png

For each feature requirement that requires testing, we will see every execution of both manual and automated test cases that are mapped. It gives you valuable insight into the traceability metrics from within our test management solution. 

zephyr-ent.png

Make the process easier 

You may experience a lot of frustration as your organization goes through an Agile transformation. There may be new initiatives for faster release cycles, revenue loss from bugs in production, and daily hindrances from the lack of a cohesive toolset.  

If any of the pain points above resonate with you, implanting a more robust test management solution is something that could help as the new year kicks off in 2021.  

Further Reading 

What do you think? Comment below! 

We’d love to hear about your experience with Test Management alongside Test Automation! 

1. Do you currently use a test management solution within your organization? If yes, how effectively have they been implemented into your business?  
  2. Do you currently use a test automation solution within your organization? If yes, how are you integrating it into your test management solution? 
  3. What issues do you face onboarding your users in both test management and automation?  Steep learning curve? Lack of integration (i.e two separate motions)? 
hkim5
Staff
5 Comments
Marsha_R
Community Hero

1) I wish we had JIRA.  My current job has Azure DevOps and I don't like it at all.  I was used to the flexibility of JIRA and I don't know who is designing the test portions of Azure DevOps but I don't think they've ever been a tester.

2) We use TestComplete and SoapUI.  We are slowly getting TC integrated with Azure DevOps but it will be a while before we get that finished.  The SoapUI tests will be phased out as all our APIs are changing.  I would like to automate the tests for the new ones but we will see if that's planned for me or not.

3) I have 2 interns and over time they eventually move on and are replaced.  TC seems to be quite easy for them and the manual test cases are a pain just like they are for everyone.  🙂

sonya_m
Community Manager

Thanks Marsha for sharing your experience!

@anupamchampati , @AlexKaras , @tphillips , @ApplePen what's your current experience with test management solutions? We are all quite curious🙂

AlexKaras
Community Hero

I wish we had JIRA.

We have it... Yes, it is flexible (if you have a hard working stuff who manages it) but for me personally it never was as simple and as clear as AQdevTeam was.

(Yes, AQdevTeam had problems with performance under high load. But been a desktop application it was much more usable when compared to web one.)

tphillips
Frequent Contributor

We use Asana for tasks for developers (it's really bad), and test case management is done via Excel (everyone's favourite). We had a look at using devops for test cases but I really wish we just used JIRA and Zephyr. It's getting really bad.

ApplePen
Contributor

@sonya_m  Thank you for your invite. I was busy recently. But I intend to read every article in wintertainment later.

1) Yes, I use JIRA too. But I embarrassed. JIRA server was not built by me. So I don't  know which plugin is installed to manage the test cases. I just saw the Test tag with text  [Test Management for Jira]. Is that Zephyr?
2) Before JIRA, we used TestLink to manage test cases. But it is simple. Not suit our project any more.

3)The coverage statistics of Automation and the mangement automation test cases are all our problems currently.

I think we just get started in Automation.