Wintertainment 2019 - Day 1: How Well Do You Know SmartBear?

Greetings SmartBear Community!

I'm happy to announce that today we are starting our annual December event –

SmartBear Community Wintertainment 2019!

During one week (Dec 2-6), each day, we will discuss the most exciting New Year topics, share our stories and ideas and have fun. Once you have something to share or you are fed up with testing (can this ever happen?), come join us and relax by talking with peers Smiley Happy Post as many comments as you can and the most active participants with great stories will be rewarded with gifts from SmartBear.GiftBox_small.png

The first topic is a tough one. I want to challenge you! I’m sure you are using one or several SmartBear products regularly. However, how well do you know SmartBear?

Day 1 activity

• Complete a short quiz to check how well you know SmartBear. How many points do you get? 
  • Share your experience of using a SmartBear product. You can follow this plan:
    • Product name
    • How many years you have been using the product
    • Which features you like the most
    • What was the most interesting project you implemented by using the product

The Wintertainment event will take place on Dec 2-6. We will suggest a new topic to discuss each day. Participate in as many discussions as you can. Only the comments left during this time period will be considered when deciding the winners.

Let Wintertainment 2019 begin!

Looking forward to reading your stories!

Sequence 0236.png

Community Manager
17 Comments
Community Hero

> How Well Do You Know SmartBear?

Not as well as I want to... Though in the time when "The grass was greener" and "The light was brighter" (c) Pink Floyd, I remember fantastic Support by Jay and Allen...

Does anyone else here know these guys? (Well, except of a handful of survived dinosaurs... (like me and (oh, you probably know 'em Smiley Wink ) ) Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

Ahaa.. !!! I have scored 5 out 5. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley HappyCapture.PNG

And, Here, I am quoting my experiences so far :-

• Product name - Ready API
  • How many years you have been using the product - 3.5 Yrs
  • Which features you like the most - DataSource, DataSourceLoop and Reporting. There are many more. But, I like these 3 features because it saves lot of my time to write code in groovy for all these.
  • What was the most interesting project you implemented by using the product - I have used this tool in many projects such as Marriott, Starwood, FlyDubai and Staples so far in my 5 years of career. Believe me, It's a really cool and easy tool to start with. And as told earlier also, this tool is a like a hot skill in market now. Companies are giving huge hike to the candidate who has this skillset in their resume including SoapUI also. I have recommended this tool to many clients I have handled so far. Out of which 4 of them have opted this tool. 

Thanks to the SMARTBEAR and the SMARTBEAR community for providing the great platform for any queries.

Community Manager

Wow - 5 out of 5. My congratulations, @avidCoder! Great results

@AlexKaras, how many points did you get?

Community Hero

SmartBearScore.png

Yeah... did that. :-)

So... the rest of it.

Product Name/How long have I been using it: TestComplete...well, more accurately, I STARTED using AQTest 1.52 back in 2002.  So, that means I've been using the product for... hrm... 17 years?  Maybe a bit longer?  I remember the days BEFORE NameMapping, Keywords tests, objects like aqString or aqFile, etc.  I wrote all my automations in DelphiScript and didn't even have the advantage of the now-obselete ODT module for creating classes and objects.  I had to duct-tape and spit everything and still managed to write a well structured, robust automated test suite. 

Favorite feature? Honestly... based upon what what USED to have to do, I love that TestComplete now supports languages like JavaScript and Python that allows for the creation of more complex classes and code.  But even more so... I know folks LOVE to do that whole descriptive programming stuff... but honestly, NameMapping has been a fantastic feature since it was started waaaaaay back when.

Most interesting project...  written totally in Delphi Script, using ODT classes and objects and instantiating MSXML2.DOMDocument objects... built what amounts to an API testing module to test a Windows service that sent and received XML messaging structures for running an online attraction ticketing store. I started the code one afternoon at work, worked basically 24 hours straight and was wrapping up the project when the company president came in the next morning.  As far as I know, that code is still running today.

Community Hero

@AlexKaras Remember Robert Leahey?  I did one of the original TestComplete Summits in Las Vegas with him, did some great training on OOP with TestComplete.  Much fun. 

Occasional Contributor

Smartbear.jpg

Let me share my experience

• Product name- Test Complete
  • How many years you have been using the product- 3year 9 month
  • Which features you like the most-Recording and mapping- There are many useful featuers i loved to use in my testing but these 2 are the most important life savers,which saves my time and energy
  • What was the most interesting project you implemented by using the product- i am working on semiconductor  products. I have used Test Complete to test window applications on my project for scanner devices which used in many different kind of  air planes to control air pressure and check calibration, leakage etc..

Thanks to smart bear for producing affordable tool taht gives you almost same performance result as expensive tool

Special thanks to community for helping always

Community Manager
  wrote:

@AlexKaras Remember Robert Leahey?  I did one of the original TestComplete Summits in Las Vegas with him, did some great training on OOP with TestComplete.  Much fun. 

When was it? I haven't heard about this summit. I'm with SmartBear since 2008. Was it in 00's? Smiley Happy

Community Hero

Wow... um... it was before 2008, I'm sure of that, but I don't recall the exact date.  I think we were only in TC 3 or 4 at the time.

EDIT: OK, I did a bit of research.  The summit was held while the High Roller roller coaster was still running on the Stratosphere (I remember because I rode it).  It closed in December 2005.  However, a different ride, The Insanity, opened March the same year (I was there on opening day for it but didn't ride it).  So, that means the summit was around March 2005.

Community Manager

It was nice years, Robert Smiley Happy

@varsha, great results in the quiz!

Community Hero

@tristaanogre :

> Remember Robert Leahey?

Sure... Never talked to him directly, unfortunately, but indeed, his posts before and while he was member of AQA were really helpful.

[whispering] The first guy from AQA who replied me was Philippe Ranger... Regarding AQTime (beta)...

Both he and AQTime itself really helped me that time to profile and trace memory leaks for Borland's C++ Builder-based Windows service.

Community Hero

> NameMapping has been a fantastic feature since it was started waaaaaay back when.

Personally I started to use it only after Aliases were added. And consider Aliases-NameMapping-physical structure to be one of the outstanding features of TC.

Community Hero

>Personally I started to use it only after Aliases were added. And consider Aliases-NameMapping-physical structure to be one of the outstanding features of TC.

Yeah, I agree.  That extra Aliases layer really made it, practically, an immensely useful feature.

Community Hero

@TanyaGorbunova :

> @AlexKaras, how many points did you get?

I had to think on the question 2 Smiley Wink This was most tough Smiley Happy Everything else was not that difficult and I managed to get my 5 points... Smiley Embarassed

Community Hero

Hi all!

I missed one question and I'd like to debate the answer.   @TanyaGorbunova want to PM me so I don't spoil it?   Smiley Happy

I use TestComplete, currently at the third job with it.  First I was at Intuit about 10 years ago, version 8 I think, and we used scripting for database testing, and I did that for a couple of years.  Then I was at QAD and we used it for UI testing a new addition to the product and it was the first TC project there and the first one using Agile.  I worked on that one for 6 years.   Now I'm at University of California Santa Barbara and it took me two years to talk them into using TC, but I have it now finally!  Now it's UI and API testing.  I've been able to hand it to my interns and they've taught themselves keyword testing and scripting too!

Marsha

Super Contributor

Yay!!!!

@TanyaGorbunova  :  I've got 100% Smiley Very Happy

100_smartbear_challenge.JPG

Sharing my experience of using a SmartBear product......

Product name
SoapUI and Ready API

How many years you have been using the product
3 Yrs

Which features you like the most
DataSource, DataSourceLoop and Reporting, also there are lot more feature which are great too like random data generator, many assertion not in soapUI. But, the reason why these are top favourite because it saves lot of my time to write Groovy code.

What was the most interesting project you implemented by using the product
I have used ReadyAPI and SoapUI in many projects such as SITA(Airline Domain), HSBC_INDIA(Bank Domain) and ICICI Canada(Bank Domain) so far in my 4 years of professional carrer. Prior to ReadyAPI i was working with SoapUI and as far as my experience says ReadyAPI is way easier than SoapUI for those who want to start their carrer in Automation Testing because SoapUI needs good hands-on on groovy and in ReadyAPI little knowledge of groovy will work.

At last i want to thank Smartbear because of it i was able to change my organisation and get professional and personal growth. And also to SmartBear community to help me out of every difficulty i stuck in.

!!!Thank you Team SmartBear!!!

Community Manager

It is kind of awesome to learn that SmartBear is helping people in so many areas. Aircraft, hotels, retail, banking...Thanks for sharing everyone.

Let's continue the conversation in the Day 2 topic that we have just posted! Day 2 comes with a very special award Smiley Wink

Community Manager

@AlexKaras@HimanshuTayal , great results!

@Marsha_R, I always happy to debate Smiley Happy Which question did you have trouble?

I've just reviewed the current results of the quize. The average score is 4.4 (5 is max). Great numbers. Many of you know SmartBear well Smiley Happy