cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Video] Interview with the Community Leader - Lucian Ardelean

Community Manager

2666x208.png

Hello SmartBear Community,

Here is an exclusive interview with Lucian Ardelean ( @Lucian ), the SmartBear API Community Leader. Today, we will talk with Lucian about API and how to easily get started with ReadyAPI. Don't miss the chance to hear about Lucian's biggest challenge in the API tester role and ways to deal with it.

Feel free to post your comments and give us your Kudos Smiley Happy

Watch this short interview that includes:

01:06 Passion for technology

01:50 Does Count Dracula help in testing?

03:18 ReadyAPI, SoapUI OS, and SwaggerHub for the future

04:23 Lucian's biggest challenge in the API tester role and ways to deal with it

06:37 What QA beginners must learn first - Community is a great point to start!

07:57 What motivates Lucian to contribute to the Community

09:05 How to earn the Community Leader status within a year after the registration

Transcript:

[Tanya]
Hello SmartBear Community, I'm welcoming you in our monthly interviews with Community Leaders. Today, our guest is Lucian Ardelean. Lucian has huge experience in API, and he's always happy to share his knowledge. Watch the interview to learn the requirements for successful API tests and how Count Dracula can help with them.

[Tanya]
Hello SmartBear Community! Today, we are talking with Lucian Ardelean, our SmartBear API Community Leader. Lucian joined the SmartBear Community only a year ago, but he has already earned the Community Leader status, so let's learn the secret of such great growth! Hello Lucian! How are you today?

[Lucian]

Hey, I'm fine, how are you?

[Tanya]
I'm good thanks. Could you please introduce yourself to the SmartBear Community: where are you from? What are you doing in your spare time?

[Lucian]

Well, I'm Lucian, like you said. I live in Romania. I work as a tester for two years now, and I'm pretty passionate in general for technology, I'd to learn more, and I try to get involved in many parts, I try to make a small list of Java applications, C applications, Android applications, and just lately i'm trying to automate my house with Arduino and Raspberry Pi, so, yeah, I'm kind of a nerd, I think.

[Tanya]
As you said you're from Romania, right?

[Lucian]

Yeah.

[Tanya]
And, Dracula is from Romania, as well. Yes. Do you live far from his castle?

[Lucian]
I don't even know, I think it's like 100 kilometres. I'm not pretty sure, I think Romanians are not very into Dracula as like the foreign people.

[Tanya]
Really?

[Lucian]
Yeah, so, I mean, maybe, some are, but I'm not, and I know not a lot of people which are not that interested in those stories. Dracula is actually not even our invention, we had Vlad Tepes, but the story with Dracula was written by a stranger, so by a foreign person. I didn't know that.

[Tanya]
As you said, you are passionate about all this technology, new things; which SmartBear products at the moment are you using? I see that you're replying in the ReadyAPI Community mostly, but maybe, you use other our products?

[Lucian]
Well, I'm currently using SoapUI Open Source, and, as well, ReadyAPI which is, yeah, SoapUI Pro, I'm not even sure about other products. I know we use Swagger, which lately is owned by SmartBear. We are looking into automating some UI parts now. Maybe, we'll go into other SmartBear products, but, for now, it's just SoapUI and so SoapUI Pro.

[Tanya]
We have a great Community for Swagger and Swagger Hub products, as well, and they are on the SmartBear Community, as well, so it's easy for you to participate in those communities, as well.

[Lucian]
Yeah, I'm not that involved with Swagger, but we work with it.

[Tanya]
Great, and as an API tester, you have already been working as you said around two years. What is your biggest challenge as an API tester, and how do you resolve it?

[Lucian]
My biggest challenge... So, lately, I was just put in the position to keep an eye on the tests. There are multiple testers, but I have to check the builds, the nightly builds and make sure everything is okay. I have to make sure they are robust, and I want to make them better, so this is my biggest challenge - to keep the tests as simple as possible. Simple to understand and simple to maintain because I don't want to spend a lot of time on just creating tests, creating a lot of tests and ending up with a lot of maintenance time which means costs for the company. So, this is my goal, and my biggest challenge as we speak now.

[Tanya]
Okay, great, and I suppose you successfully resolved it.

[Lucian]
We still have, we still have problems, and we still need improvement, but I think we are, we are fine, it is not perfect, but I think we are on the right track, and we have a lot of developers who don't work necessarily with ReadyAPI, but they give us a lot of insights on how they work with their unit tests and such. So, they kind of help us to get on the right track.

[Tanya]
Okay, so you already have a great background, can you give several examples for new users, even for new API testers? Let me say it like this. What they should learn first in order to get the fast growth in their career and other things?

[Lucian]
Ok, this is kind of a general question, but I guess strictly you're referring to ReadyAPI. ReadyAPI is a big tool, and it has a lot of features, so if I were a beginner, I would just focus on learning the basics and start small, and there are plenty of research resources to do that on the Internet and on the Community forums, so this is a great point to start, I guess.

[Tanya]
Okay, and as we started talking about the Community, you contribute a lot of valuable information to the ReadyAPI Community. So, first of all, I'd like to thank you for your willingness to be with us and to share your knowledge. Do you remember when you first came to the SmartBear Community? What was your first question about?

[Lucian]
No, I don't remember. I think I started googling for something, I can't recall the words, but I stepped into the Community. I didn't stay there right at the moment, but then I got other questions and finally, I started just being there and also helping other people.

[Tanya]
So, what motivates you to contribute: your curiosity to learn more new things, you like getting kudos, or you just like helping people? What?

[Lucian]
I do like helping people, but I also like learning new things. I like to see what happens, how other people use ReadyAPI because everyone has his own way of work. So, I just wanted to see a broader picture of how ReadyAPI is used, I guess.

[Tanya]
And, you are still continuing learning new things from others, right?

[Lucian]
Yeah, definetely, yeah.

[Tanya]
So, and you earned the Community Leader status, this is one of the most elite statuses in the Community. Just only a year after the registration, that's incredible! What should other members do to repeat your success?

[Lucian]
Ok, I'm kind of very passionate about ReadyAPI, so I did learn a lot of things lately, and I was able to help others, so, I guess, in order to be a Community Leader, you would have to be able to present some options for others or be involved in the Community, and this is I guess the key. You chose me, or somebody from you chose me as a Community Leader, but I guess this is it. You just have to work and help others.

[Tanya]
Yeah. but we decided you as a Community Leader not without a reason, I mean because other members decided that you help them a lot.

[Lucian]
Yeah. I hope so.

[Tanya]
Okay. Great. Thanks, that was very interesting. Do you have anything to add or maybe some words to community members?

[Lucian]
Well, I'm just kind of a new tester, and I'm trying to find my way, so I can't give any additional advice for the moment. Yeah, maybe, later I will just come with a better advice, and, hopefully, I will be very successful.

[Tanya]
That's for sure.

[Lucian]
And, I will give the best advice.

[Tanya]
Okay, great. Thanks a lot for the interview, thanks for your time and see you online in the SmartBear Community.

[Lucian]
See you.

[Tanya]
Thank you.