[Video] Interview with Ashutosh Anshu - Avidcoder

2666x208.png

Hey Community,

We continue introducing our top community contributors to all of you. Please meet Ashutosh Anshu (aka @avidCoder ). Ashutosh earned the Community Leader status last quarter. He is an expert in our API products - SoapUI Pro and SoapUI OS.

Watch the interview to learn:

• Ashutosh's hobbies - 01:39
  • why Ashutosh chose the software quality area - 02:35
  • how Ashutosh fights with the Dev team - 04:38
  • how Ashutosh moved from SoapUI OS to SoapUI Pro - 06:10
  • top SoapUI Pro features Ashutosh uses the most - 09:20

@msiadak@nmrao@Nastya_Khovrina, there are some words for you! 

Watch the interview, leave your comments and give us Kudos Smiley Happy

Read the full interview:

[Tanya]
Hello SmartBear Community! Today, we are talking with Ashutosh Anshu, also known as @avidcoder. Ashutosh demonstrates excellent skills in our API Communities SoapUI Pro and SoapUI Open Source. Let's learn more about him!
Hi Ashutosh, how are you?

[Ashutosh]
Hi Tanya, hi Community! How are you guys?

[Tanya]
Could you please start with a short introduction of yourself where are you from, what do you do in your spare time?

[Ashutosh]
Yeah, I'm basically from Behar, India, but, currently, I'm staying in Bangalore, which is the Silicon Valley of India. So, I am working in MNC, and I have experience of around 4 years of working in the IT industry, and I worked with numerous tools such as Selenium, ReadyAPI, and SmartBear's one more tool - Collaborator. From the start, I've only worked in automation. I started three or four years ago working with an automation tool like UI Automation, like Selenium and all those things, then I moved to API testing, and then I got to know about this tool from my company managers, and they were like, okay, see if you can start working with this tool also.

And, in my spare time, I do blogs I have my own website, I do some technical blogs which are related to my automation background or anything related to aptitude testing and all that. I have one website where I keep on helping people who are really in need of jobs and all. So, I have them there upscaling their technical skills, upscaling their aptitude knowledge and all. So, yeah, that's what I like.

[Tanya]
This is interesting, so you like helping people, you like teaching people not only in the SmartBear Community, but also this is like your hobby.

[Ashutosh]
Yes, kind of a hobby, actually. In my spare, I do all those things.

[Tanya]
That's interesting, and if we return to the beginning of your career, how did it happen that you chose the software quality testing field?

[Ashutosh]
Yeah, actually, I was put into a development team, and then I thought like this is not what I like. The job was okay, but I thought like this is something which I had done in college a lot. Like working with projects, developing things. So, I wanted something interesting, so, one of my colleagues was working in automation testing, I didn't know a lot of things about automation testing. And, he showed me something, this one tool - IBM Rational Functional Tester tool, which he used to automate the UI's and all. So, I just saw it, and I liked it, I went, oh, wow, this is good actually, I want to learn this thing, and what this is actually and what this tool is and what basically automation testing is. So, he showed me some little bit of insight on that, and then I got to know about this tool and kept on installing the tools from this market. The ones which are really being used heavily in this market, so, and I got to know about the tools and all, and it also depends on the managers and all. They gave me this tool, that tool, and I kept on installing and got to learn the things.

[Tanya]
That's great, so, you used to work on both sides: you were a developer, and, now, you are a software quality engineer, right? So, and, you may know the answer to the war which happens between developers and testers. So, you know that testers say that developers did some wrong thing, developers say that testers cannot test or something like this, so what do you think about this war, and how do you fight with them?

[Ashutosh]
See, I, actually, don't fight with them, and I have friendship with all the developers and the support team, and the tester team, also. So, what I do like if I see something, some issue is there, so and also I have never been in kind of a team actually. In automation testing, let's say, I am the only tester guy, and from the document team there's only one guy and from the support team, there's only one guy. So I never worked with, like, kind of a 'team' actually. So, I never fought with anyone like how people fight that this is a bug, and this is not working, and we will raise a JIRA ticket for that, and we'll raise a ticket in anything, in any defect tracking tools we can use, so I never faced these kinds of issues before, and I think I will never face in the future because I'm very lucky to work single, in, practically, any team, so I never faced these kinds of situations.

[Tanya]
Ok, that's great, that's interesting, I see that in the SmartBear Community, you are actively participating in both SoapUI Pro and SoapUI Open Source Communities, so, do you use both of these tools, or did you migrate from SoapUI Open Source to SoapUI Pro, and, that's why, you know SoapUI Open Source? So, what is happening?

[Ashutosh]
See, in the year of 2016, I guess, yeah, I got to know about this tool, and I saw people use Citrix and Citrix Desktop. And, there it was installed, SoapUI Open Source, so I thought, what is this tool, actually? And, I just opened it, and I had free time, so I just took a look, and I searched in Google, what this tool actually is, and got to know about this Open Source. Later on, I got a chance in year 2017, in the month of November, I got this tool, SoapUI NG Pro, at that time, I thought okay I know this tool. I got to know about this Community at that time only because I searched in Google and a lot of the answers used to be given by people such as msiadak, nmrao, tristaanogre, and, one more, your name was there! And, Nastya Khovrina was there, so I remember all those people from last 1.5 years that I've spent in this Community. So, these people help with anything: to upscale my knowledge in SoapUI NG Pro and ReadyAPI. And, like, whenever I asked questions and had any query about this tool, I used to post, and I used to get the answer within, like, half an hour. So, I was really happy. And, at that time, people were really active, like, these four-five people were really active on this tool and managed to help me with anything, and then, later on, when I joined I thought, okay, I got help from people, I got to know the things, at the time I started, I worked on a framework for ReadyAPI for my clients, so they were really happy with testing, I think I have already mentioned this in this interview. So, at that time only, I thought, okay-okay, fine, this tool is really good, I should work on that; and I kept on exploring, and I got to know each and every thing about this tool. There are still some areas I'm lagging behind in, like an environment area with which I have not worked, and one more is the JDBC area, like, any database connection in SoapUI NG Pro, I never worked with this. So, all these areas I want to explore, I am not saying that I am really an expert, I will keep on exploring, and I will keep on answering the people who are asking questions. And then, I get to know more people on that basis.

[Tanya]
But, definitely, we think you're a great expert in SoapUI Pro, we very appreciate all your contribution to the SmartBear Community, and, so, I see that you are very passionate about SoapUI Pro, and could you please specify like top 5 SoapUI Pro features which you like the most or, maybe, which you use in your work the most?

[Ashutosh]
Yeah, so, I will explain a little bit based on the framework that I've designed. If I use SoapUI Open Source, I have to write the code for the Excel connection, how the data will go to the cells, and, if I use ReadyAPI, which has, like, a lot of features, which is really good actually, all the features there. You don't have to write the code for the data source, I mean getting the data from Excel, then you don't do need to write code for tracking you back to Excel, so all those things will be done by data sink, then you have data generators, all those things. Then, you have a property file, where you can add all those things, and the most important thing which a client likes always is the reporting tool, which is the best thing in SoapUI, ReadyAPI. And, you don't do anything, you set the reports to be generated 100% automatically with Report Generator. The reports are generated in the PDF format, either you can customize it from your side right in the tool, or, else, you can use the same PDF file or a junit file to show to the client. They were really impressed with the reporting tool, they were really happy. With this reporting tool, you do not do anything at all really. Everything works here automatically and is being generated, so it's really good, I mean, impressive. So, these are the features, and the most important feature which I like is the reporting. The best feature. And, other things like DataSource, datasets, data sink, all these things.

[Tanya]
Thanks, that's very interesting, and I'm sure that will be very interesting for new users who are just starting using ReadyAPI, so, and if we return to the SmartBear Community, you joined the SmartBear Community, you participated in the Community by asking questions, and, this year, at the beginning of the year, you earned the Community leader status, this is the quarterly status, right, which we announce for our top community contributors, so can you suggest for people who want to be community leaders what they need to do in order to earn this status?

[Ashutosh]
See, all those things depend on your adaptability and your positiveness for some things, if you like something you should go for it, if you don't like, you don't go for it, so, for me, I would say, I like technical things which are related to automation, so I go for that. Okay, so if anything is related to automation, I'll go, and I'll ask people, I'll get to know the people, so it's all about, like, getting to know the things and all, so I can't say about other people, why people do not like, or why they like this particular tool or this Community, it all depends on their mind, whether they are really interested in this tool, or they are really interested in automation, and the market values, and I know this tool is really exploding the market, so people are learning about this tool. If you go to any company interviews, they will ask if you know SoapUI, or the advanced version, or ReadyAPI. I was interviewed multiple times for different organizations, and they also asked about this. I would say it's like if you are really interested in technical things which are related to API and automation and other tools designed by SmartBear like TestComplete for UI automation, and Collaborator for reviews and all those things, so, I will just say that, yeah, you can join this Community, you can get to learn the things and also, the best thing is you will get kudos, and you will get monthly rewards, and so it's really good, and you can buy some amazing new Porsche for yourself.

[Tanya]
So, anyway, kudos are always a great thing, I always say this. So, thanks a lot for your interview, thanks a lot for your valuable contributions in the SmartBear Community, we really appreciate it. Do you have anything to add, or do you want to say hi to someone in the SmartBear Community? So, it's your time!

[Ashutosh]
Yeah, I would say hi to msiadak, Marsha_R, nmrao and to you and Nastya Khovrina, so these are my favorite people in this Community, these people help me with, like, anything, and, in future, I think people will say my name also if somebody will be getting an interview, so they deserve this thing because they help me with anything, so I should mention them. Yeah, that's it. And, I feel really privileged to be here, and I'm getting interviewed by you the community manager from SmartBear, so I'm really happy you invited me for this opportunity and, like you said, be there for me, so, I'm happy!

[Tanya]
Thanks a lot for your time, see you in the SmartBear Community!

[Ashutosh]
Yeah, sure. Thank you, Tanya!

[Tanya]
Thank you!

Community Manager
3 Comments
Super Contributor

Thank you, @msiadak , @Marsha_R , @nmrao , @tristaanogre , @Nastya_Khovrina last but not the least @TanyaGorbunova for helping me out and for the quick reply for any questions related to Ready API. This interview is dedicated to you guys. And in future, I'd be taking this opportunity to help others also. \m/

Community Hero
Welcome to the Community Leader team, and thanks for the shout out! Always glad to help, and to learn from everyone here. It's ongoing!
Community Hero

@avidCoder ,

Doing good work. Keep it up.

Like @msiadak rightly pointed, during the process, we all learn so many things.

Thank you @TanyaGorbunova for the special note.

Users online (224)
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video: