Interview with Rudolf Bothma - TestComplete Community Leader

SBCommunity_BNR-2666x208.png

Hi Community,

Today, we will talk with our newest TestComplete Leader, Rudolf Bothma ( @RUDOLF_BOTHMA  ). Rudolf joined the SmartBear Community several years ago. He was learning TestComplete, faced some issues and came to us, the SmartBear Community. Let’s learn what changed since that time, and who “paramedics of the TestComplete Community” are according to Rudolf.

Rudolf, please share with us how you came to the QA industry.

[Rudolf]

Hi Tanya,

I'm a software engineer with no formal computer sciences training. It was always just figuring out the best way to do it in the present moment. The same applies to TestComplete. I have absolutely no QA background and wouldn't know the slightest bit of good practice or what the present holds, let alone the future. I picked up the testing mantle in my organization because nobody else was. Everybody was too busy developing software which, ironically, is why we have to have testing. My work is mostly done in evenings during overtime. If you add them all together I'm guessing it's the equivalent of 3 to 4 weeks of full time work - not much.

[Tanya]

Do you remember how you found the SmartBear Community? What was your first question about?

[Rudolf]

I don't know how I got to the SmartBear Community, but I would bet it was along the lines of "Help! This doesn't work! Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong". Of course I got a response! Probably, from @tristanogre, @AlexKaras or @cunderw. Those guys have to be sitting at their machines 24/7 just ready to give a quality response! I'm pretty much always a second responder after one of them. They are the paramedics of the TC Functional Web Testing Community!

[Tanya] 

You actively participate in TestComplete Web Testing forum discussions. Do you use TestComplete to test only web applications?

[Rudolf]

Yes, my knowledge of TC is extremely narrow. Its web forms - specifically DevExpress. But DevExpress has loads of quirks which you wouldn't find anywhere else. Just making interactions with DevExpress controls work in a stable manner so other users can easily consume this probably represents 90% of my development time at present. I think most people want to share their knowledge, even if it is just to show off what they have achieved or for the badges, but most just often feel they don't know enough to answer the question. I just feel that the testers who test in environments that run on special frameworks such as DevExpress need to be sharing knowledge and mistakes. These frameworks all do page and control rendering in its own unique way that TestComplete can't handle using just the standard visualizer or test recording tools. TestComplete can however handle it if you use the more advanced features through scripting. By sharing this knowledge with the community, the next DevExpress tester with the same question won't have to spend weeks making stuff work, getting frustrated and then giving up.

[Tanya]

Can you list some questions which you resolved with the help of Community members or by reading Community discussions?

[Rudolf]

For example why the object has a zero size when you can see it on screen. Or no longer exists after I just did a check to see if it existed in script. Or can be typed into even when it's disabled. Or takes 10 seconds to identify a checkbox in a table in a grid. Or fails validation even when you did set the text of the textbox... 

These were all issues I experienced and got resolved through community board discussions. They didn't always have the answer either, but their input was always welcome. 

[Tanya]

How do you usually find answers in the Community?

[Rudolf]

Quite often, I got to the answer by combining the inputs of a few of topics and a bit of passing around ideas. That is why everybody should feel welcome to contribute. Some ideas are good and correct while others are wrong or incorrect, but quite often the answer comes from an amalgamation of all the responses. 

[Tanya]

We really appreciate your contribution to the Community. What motivates you the most?

[Rudolf]

I like giving proper full length posts including code. The code often includes accidental syntax errors because I wrote it on the fly. It gives new users a starting point, but still requires them to figure out the how and why themselves. There is no better way to learn in my opinion. That and I like badges    Thinking about it, I guess if you limit it to just functional Web Testing in DevX, I know quite a bit after just 4 weeks   I'm always happy to semi-anonymously participate and contribute on forums in order to help other people.

Community Manager
1 Comment
Community Hero

[Rudolf]

[...]

I just feel that the testers who test in environments that run on special frameworks such as DevExpress need to be sharing knowledge and mistakes.

[...]

Up to the point, Rudolf!

I absolutely agree.

Users online (187)
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video: