Forum Discussion

bcon40
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Get minimum Git version error even though I have later version.

Using the CodeCollaborator client GUI in Linux, I am attempting to add an SCM configuration for git.  However, when I do so, I get a Configuration error:  "Error:  Minimum Git version 1.7.5 is required."  My current version of git is 2.8.2.  Any suggestions regarding what I can do to debug this?

• Problem resolved:  When running git, typing "git version" returned 2.8.2.  I was indeed running 2.8.2.  However, when I tried to determine the location of my git executable (I'm on a large system with lots of users and software), I used "whereis git" on the Linux command line.  This returned a path to an incorrect version of the executable (which was older than 1.7.5).  This is the path that I specified to the CodeCollaborator client.  Using "which git" on the Linux command line returned the correct path to the 2.8.2 version.  When I specified this path to the client, all was good.  Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.  To the powers that be:  feel free to remove this message if possible.

2 Replies

bcon40
    New Contributor

Problem resolved:  When running git, typing "git version" returned 2.8.2.  I was indeed running 2.8.2.  However, when I tried to determine the location of my git executable (I'm on a large system with lots of users and software), I used "whereis git" on the Linux command line.  This returned a path to an incorrect version of the executable (which was older than 1.7.5).  This is the path that I specified to the CodeCollaborator client.  Using "which git" on the Linux command line returned the correct path to the 2.8.2 version.  When I specified this path to the client, all was good.  Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.  To the powers that be:  feel free to remove this message if possible.

TanyaYatskovska
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Bcon40,

Thanks for sharing your solution with us!

I've moved it to a separate post and marked accordingly.