Forum Discussion

newsgroups
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Disabling dynamic CPU frequency mode

When I run the Performance profiler on my C++ Builder XE4 executable, I get a dialog that says:

Your processor supports the SpeedStep technology. We recommend that you disable the dynamic CPU frequency mode, because the timing results may be inaccurate if this mode is active. Continue profiling?

My questions:

1. How do I disable the CPU frequency mode?

2. What other features of my computer may cause me to regret disabling this mode?

I am answering "Yes" to the "Continue profiling?" question, and I get results... is it a big deal if I just accept the warning and ignore it?

• Hi Kathleen,

You should be able to disable the SpeedStep technology (or PowerNow! for AMD CPUs) in your BIOS, so please refer to your motherboard's documentation. If you disable the dynamic CPU frequency mode, your CPUs will consume more power because their clock speed won't be reduced dynamically. You can ignore the warning message, but the Performance profiler's results may be incorrect in this case. Please see the Counters Overview article.

2 Replies

aqAnt
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Kathleen,

You should be able to disable the SpeedStep technology (or PowerNow! for AMD CPUs) in your BIOS, so please refer to your motherboard's documentation. If you disable the dynamic CPU frequency mode, your CPUs will consume more power because their clock speed won't be reduced dynamically. You can ignore the warning message, but the Performance profiler's results may be incorrect in this case. Please see the Counters Overview article.

newsgroups
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks for this information. I think I'll continue to ignore the dialog... at least until I think I have a pressing need to change the setting.

Kathleen the coward