Forum Discussion

warmfusion
New Contributor
14 years ago

Error: could not open jre/lib/i386/jvm.cfg

Hello!

I really want to try out loadUI but I'm having real problems getting the installation to work, it seems that the installation is assuming my jre is in a very particular location where jvm.cnf is a symlink pointing at /etc/java-6-sun however, my installation is in a different location.

I have been able to get the agent running by replacing the JAVA variable with my normal bin, but I cannot do the same for the normal installation due to its use of the Instal4j tool. I'm using 64bit RHEL 5.5 with java 1.6.0_18.

If anyone could help I'd be really happy! :-D

Many thanks,

Toby

Here's an example of the process from using the nightly build (as of 12/07/10 ~17:00 GMT), i have tried replacing the INSTALL4J variable at the top of the shell, to no avail.

[toby@aeris ~]$ sh loadUI-1_0-beta1-nightly.sh
Unpacking JRE ...
Preparing JRE ...
Starting Installer ...
Error: could not open `/home/toby/loadUI-1_0-beta1-nightly.sh.30210.dir/jre/lib/i386/jvm.cfg'

4 Replies

• Hey there,

Did you read this issue? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3941

I had the same error and figured out how to get it to work. For me, I was using open sourced versions of java which for reasons I cannot determine (perhaps integration with JavaFx?). However, after removing all the other versions of Java I had and installing Suns Java, I was able to install the application.

Hope that helps.

Andy
    warmfusion
    New Contributor
    Unfortunately i cant remove the gcj install due to a massive number of dependencies that I don't have time/inclination to bypass.

However, I DID manage to get it working... albeit with sneaky tactics;

* Begin install
      * When "Preparing JRE" appears press CTRL-Z (Sleep)
      * Move the jre from the <appname.<pid>.dir to jre_broken
      * Symlink a new jre folder from your java_home (my case it was /usr/java/default/jre)
      * run "fg" to bring the sleeping process back to life
      * Watch as the Magically replaced JRE folder suddently works and shows the installer

I then had to grapple with starting the application as well, but following your advice, sudo in the /opt path solved that.

However, once I got it working I did manage to nearly take down my webserver with some heavy handed battering of a php app... so maybe it was best i couldn't get it working :-D

With great power comes great opportunity for disaster...
  • [quote="warmfusion"]Unfortunately i cant remove the gcj install due to a massive number of dependencies that I don't have time/inclination to bypass. However, I DID manage to get it working... albeit with sneaky tactics;

Good job in getting it to install that way. I didn't know where to start but suspected something was up with Java and so stripped my instance for parts and started over with Sun's Java. What baffled me was that SOAPUI installs just fine on the same box with the open source JRE's that come with Ubuntu... so perhaps there is something that can be changed for LOADUI to work out of the Ubuntu box.

At this point I am playing with LOADUI on a personal local machine so I don't have any restrictions or risks of affecting production stuff.