alibaba82
Super Contributor
15 years ago

soapui 3.0 JDBC Datasource connection string has wierd behavior

Hello,
I have 2 issues.

in soapUI 2.5.1 my MS SQL connection string was like

jdbc:sqlserver://;databaseName=;user=;password=xyz;

I notice in that in soapUI 3.0 i have to physically type in the password in the 'password' text box. Why do I have to do this when the password is already part of the connection string? It does not work with out it.

Even if I type the password, the password gets deleted when soapUI is restarted.

This is a major blocker for us.

Thanks

Ali

7 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Ali,

The main reason why we added separate password field was security issue.
    This way password is masked.

Now, about having to supply password again when restarting soapUI...
    I've managed to recreate it when using JDBC DataConnection in DataSource TestStep. I'll have to check why is that happening and get back to you. In the meantime you can set a JDBC Connection on project level and use it in DataConnection type of DataSource, where you shouldn't have the same issue.

Regards,

/Dragica
    eviware.com
    alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    Does this mean I have to re-configure all my projects to work with the new security model ?
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi Ali,

sorry for messing this up for you, we are working on a solution that will not require you to reconfigure your projects..

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi Ali,

There was a bug that once you do supply a password in separate field (i.e. use a wizard) it gets removed when restarted soapui and that is fixed now. Maybe that was the reason for your problem.
    You don't have to reconfigure old connections. Even when manually supplying driver and whole connection string(with password included) for a new connection(not generated through a wizard) and leaving password field empty, it should work ok.
    Please try latest nightly-build (you can download it now, since it has been just modified) and let me know if you have any further problems.

Regards,

/Dragica
    eviware.com
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi Ali,

I just wanted to check if you have had the possibility to try this fix and if it has helped you forward.. please let us know!

kind regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
    M_McDonald
    Super Contributor
    Is it possible that this was a feature rather than a bug?

I had complained about the password not being masked (in the beta release,) then afterward that even though it was masked in the UI, it was still in clear text in the project file. This would be considered a security risk at my company.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi M McDonald,

No this was something else...
    We are having your request in mind, unfortunately I can not give you any time estimation yet, we'll let you know when we have some solution for you

Regards,

/Dragica
    eviware.com