Forum Discussion

TwoFang
Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

is there a reason why the specification file you want to use in your project need a file ending

When i'm in readyAPI and select new Project and enter the URL or File Path to the definition file then readyAPI fails to create a project since the files does not have a file ending with .yaml / .yml...
    4 years ago

Hey TwoFang 

erm......ok - this is me, not knowing anything about anything - Im just using some educational guesses here.

The use of file extensions to determine the file type has been standard in windows (dunno about MAC, but I know UNIX doesnt rely on file extensions, it uses heuristics to determine the filetype) since....well windows started.  Changing the approach of parsing the file first to determine the type doesnt sound like a big deal (apart from adding a little latency before determining if the file is the correct type I suppose) but im guessing that its a little more complicated than that if ReadyAPI! actually hooks into the windows operating system to open a file (which Im guessing it probably does - theres no point rewriting windows 'FileOpen()' method thats been working fine for 30 years, right? )

In regards to just pointing to the directory which contains the .yaml file - could there ever be a situation in which >1 .yaml exists in a single directory?

ok - that completely summarises my total guesswork on this subject! 🙂

you could perhaps submit a new feature request if this is getting to be too much of a problem for you?

nice one

rich