Forum Discussion

garymags
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

how to use a variable from a groovy script in the resource patch

Hi,

I found a knowledgebase article that explained how I can use a groovy script step in a testcase to generate a random uuid:

// Generating a random variable value.
def uuid = UUID.randomUUID()

// Logging the variable.
log.info uuid

So I did that and when I run that particular script in my test case, I see a UUID is being generated properly.

What I would like is to be able to use this output which is stored in a variable called uuid in my next step which is a REST request.  I need to pass the value of the variable in my resource path.  How can that be done?

Thanks,

Gary

• garymags :

Name in bold should be same as the name of your properties test step:

testRunner.testCase.getTestStepByName("Propertes").setPropertyValue("uuid",uuid.toString())

correct it and you are good to go 🙂

11 Replies

• garymags : You can store the value in custom Properties as below 2 ways with in same groovy step :

1. by adding Properties step in your test case and storing the value in properties step by following code:

testRunner.testCase.getTestStepByName("Propertes").setPropertyValue("uuid",uuid.toString())

and then in your rest test step you can use : context.expand('${Properties#uuid}') 

2. by storing value in test case custom properties by following code:

testRunner.testCase.setProppertyValue("uuid",uuid.toString())

and then in your rest test step you can use : context.expand('${#TestCase#uuid}')

garymags
      Occasional Contributor

HimanshuTayal Hi Himanshu, thank you for your reply.

Sorry but I'm really new to Ready API so I was hoping you can confirm if I am doing this correctly.  I provided screenshoots of my testcase.  Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am trying to follow your first recommendation.

Gary 

HimanshuTayal
        Community Hero

garymags :

Refer attached screenshot how this should looks like,

On rest request part, your attached image in not getting open, please re-attach it or simple use below syntax where you want to use uuid

context.expand('${Properties#uuid}')

garymags
    Occasional Contributor

HimanshuTayal Hi, thank you so much for all your help.  It is greatly appreciated.

It looks like the problem is the last line of the groovy script.  I can run the groovy script separately and it generates a uuid.  However, it has a problem when it gets to the last line of the script.  I followed exactly what you had recommended to put in the groovy script but I'm still getting the error.

An error appears saying:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method setPropertyValue() on null object error at line: 7

// Generating a random variable value.
    def uuid = UUID.randomUUID()

// Logging the variable.
    log.info uuid

HimanshuTayal
      Community Hero

garymags :

Name in bold should be same as the name of your properties test step:

correct it and you are good to go 🙂

• This works really well for us. Thanks for addressing this topic. I was looking for the information regarding the same. Keep sharing the info dqfanfeedback, kudos.